NOTE since v5.4.4: the spoken language is changed from Settings --> Text-to-speech options --> Preffered TTS engine ---> click on the settings wheel from the right side. This might slightly differ from one Android version to another.
A serious tool that is known, however, for its frequent out of ordinary usage.
The following languages are supported: Bengali (Bangladesh), Bengali (India), Cantonese (Hong Kong), Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (Australia, India, UK, US), Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French (Canada, France), German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Khmer (Cambodia), Korean, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Sinhala, Slovak, Spanish (Spain, US), Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
SpeakIt is in the TOP 8 software for deaf people.
This application has the following features:
1. Talking device - write text and click on Play button, TTS engine will generate voice from text.
2. Talking ringtone - write text and choose 'Set as ringtone&alarm' from the menu, TTS engine will generate a voice ringtone. It will be available as a 'SpeakIt' ringtone in the default ringtones' location and as an alarm sound.
3. A fast/emergency button on the Home Screen - write text and choose 'Save on Home Screen widget'. This could be used by deaf to save an urgent warning/message on Home Screen and play it by just taking the phone out of the pocket and pressing the button. It takes a couple of seconds to do this.
4. Timer talk - write text and choose 'Start timer'. Voice message will be played when the countdown reaches zero. You can change the countdown value in Settings.
5.Change voice pitch to low, normal or high.
6. Talking notification - write text and choose 'Set as notification' from the menu. It will be available as a 'Speak It' notification sound.
7. Speaking SMS messages aloud - start Speak It SMS service to read aloud all incoming SMS messages.
8. Adjust sound volume with the device's media volume button.
9. STOP key - click on the back button to stop the playback
10. Save a sound file and share it over skype or email
11. For those with hearing impairment, a 'speaking' indicator shows when the device is actually speaking
12. Save voice messages to a list.
13. Record sounds/voice from microphone
The application must be installed on the internal device storage only since it contains a Home Screen widget and a Service. Cannot move to SD card.