Jellow Basic AAC Communicator, Giving a Voice to Speak - is a freely downloadable friendly Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) system that uses icons/images to enable aid communication in children learning to speak or with difficulty with speech and language. Jellow Basic helps non-verbal children to communicate and gradually learn to speak - especially those with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down’s syndrome.
Jellow Basic is designed especially for children, can also be used by toddlers (3+) and early learners to learn words and categories frequently used in their daily lives. Jellow’s colourful icons can help children develop an association between pictures and their corresponding word labels.
Jellow Basic has visually appealing images, is very simple, easy to use and learn, is culturally sensitive to your food, festivals and places with access to multiple languages. Jellow's interface consists of central 'category' buttons and 'expressive' side buttons. The user can make the app speak out sentences by simply clicking on any of the category buttons followed by any of the expressive buttons. The content of the app is organized into basic category buttons that make it easy for the user to access and find desired icons.
Jellow Basic has around 1200 icons designed with feedback from users and over 10,000 lines of pre-made sentences. In addition, using the 'keyboard' feature, the user can also generate new sentences and use the app to speak them out aloud. The current version of the app allows the user to choose languages such as English, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Spanish, German and French with multiple accents Indian, American, British, Australia) and voices.
Jellow Basic is developed at the IDC School of Design at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB) located in Mumbai with support from UNICEF, Ministry and Hospitals. It is designed iteratively with regular feedback from users namely children, parents, therapists, teachers, care givers and substantiated through longitudinal studies.
Jellow Basic Communicator has been deliberately made available at free of cost as a gesture of inclusiveness, so that it remains easily and widely accessible, especially to those children who need such assistance the most.
1. Designed for Children: Jellow is designed especially for children and it's not an adult version made suitable for children.
2. Child Friendly Icons: Jellow has a library of 1200 child-friendly icons developed inhouse with feedback from users.
3. Easy-to Use and Learn Interface: It has an extremely simple and easy user interface.
4. Culture Specific Icons: Jellow has culturally contextual icons – like your food, festivals and places.
5. ELP: Jellow is driven by its expressive emotional language protocol to create sentences.
6. Multiple Languages: Jello Basic is available in the following languages with multiple accents - English, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil,Telugu, French, Spanish and German
6. Made Accessible: Jellow can be connected to external switches and has built in accessibility features.
7. Make my Board: You can customise you own icons, sentences and arrange it in your personal board.
Jellow User Group
Jellow Basic is suitable for children with Speech Disability:
- Articulation/phonological disorder
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Angelman syndrome,
- Autism symptoms, Asperger syndrome and ASD
- Cerebral palsy (CP)
- Down syndrome
- Motor Neuron Disease (MND)
- Rett syndrome,
- Speech Apraxia
For further information on Jellow AAC Communicator and FAQs, please visit:-
Do submit your feedback/comments via email at email@example.com
Jellow AAC Communicator is designed and developed by Jellow Labs © 2022