Fostering isn’t always easy and we know it may sometimes be unclear where to turn for advice, especially concerning online issues. That’s why the ‘Fostering in a Digital World’ App has been created as a resource and training tool for foster carers.
The app uses an innovative platform that has been developed specifically for and with foster carers in an initiative across the South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust directives of the Fostering Service and Health Development, in partnership with the Ineqe Group. The app is now a regional resource available across all five Health & Social Care Trusts in Northern Ireland.
- Consolidates training and resources, making them immediately accessible.
- Provides carers with access to specific advice, functions and technologies guiding them through the digital environment and hopefully making their role easier.
- Provides a support mechanism that equips carers with information on to how to report, seek help and advice, and on Trust child protection procedures.
- Helps break down barriers by providing knowledge, guidance, advice and the language required to aid discussion and engagement with children and young people in care.
- Contains a library of resources and further training to increase carer’s knowledge and develop their skills in child protection in the online world of social media, to ensure online safety.
- Issues a Digital Certificate upon completion and enables carers to test their knowledge regularly. The tests issued assess competence, increase confidence and help carers identify and address gaps in their knowledge.
Overall, use of this app ensures that carers will be able to pass on the knowledge and skills gained to empower our children & young people to better protect themselves in the online world.