In Japanese folklore, the Hyakume (百目, "hundred eyes") is a yōkai ("strange apparition") covered head-to-foot by a multitude of large, unblinking eyes. It usually shelters overnight in abandoned temples, protecting them from would-be thieves & vandals.
When a suspicious individual approaches, the Hyakume sends an eye over to attach to the stranger's garment. The eye remains with the person until he or she leaves the vicinity, then returns to the Hyakume's body.
The Hyakume app gives your Android devices the ability to easily watch the live H.264 & MJPEG video streams produced by a wide range of IP cameras (security, surveillance, doorbell, webcams, traffic, weather, repurposed smartphones, etc.).
Cameras & Camera Lists:
Up to ten Camera Lists can be defined, each list containing up to 10 Camera entries, for a total of 100 (see what we did there?) Cameras. Create separate Camera Lists for your various IP camera locations (home, business, workshop, storage, etc.).
Camera Entry Setup:
Adding a new Camera entry is a simple process: assign the Camera unique display name & provide the target IP camera's IPv4 address, video stream path, format & port number.
(Example: Living Room, 192.168.5.20, /video/h264, H264, 85)
Test the new connection (successful test produces a thumbnail image) & save it.
Cameras are frequently polled & display a polling thumbnail image & timestamp if online.
Tap a Camera entry to open its live video stream.
While viewing the stream, you can record video, capture snapshot images, & expand the view to full-screen.
Hyakume can be run in dedicated Relay Server mode, providing free on-demand remote access to your local IP cameras (spare Android device required).
Pets tearing up your living room after you leave the house? Enable the Relay Server, record their antics during your commute, and confront them with the evidence!
To setup a Relay Server:
• Install Hyakume on an available Android device & add the desired local IP Cameras to your DEFAULT Camera List
• In Settings, enable Relay Server mode & specify a username/password & listening port number
• Port-forward the Relay Server's IPv4 address & listening port on your router/gateway if necessary
• Start the Relay Server to enable free remote access
Hyakume includes a Web Client module that enables remote Camera access from desktop/mobile web browsers.
NOTE: Remote Camera connections are secured by strong TLS/SSL encryption & mandatory client authentication.
• Supports the low-latency H.264 & MJPEG video streaming formats
• Records video & captures snapshot images
• ONVIF device discovery locates local IP cameras
• Relay Server mode provides free remote Camera access
• Basic motion detection
• Displays Cameras in List/Grid formats, Light/Dark modes
• Designed for phones & tablets
Hyakume requires no subscriptions, fees or cloud accounts. Use it to setup or expand your IP Camera viewing setup.
Buy the app once, use it forever.