The New Lakota Dictionary (NLD) Mobile App is the best way to look up Lakota words, hear pronunciation, and view thousands of example sentences while on the go. It’s the ultimate electronic Lakota learning and reference tool.
• 31,000 entries
• 53,000 sentences
• Male and female voices for audio
• Consistent phonemic spelling – Standard Lakota Orthography
• Superior cross-referencing capabilities
• Faster and more responsive than online versions
• Works offline, without active data connection
• Built-In lemmatizer searches for conjugated verbs and word forms
• Over 400 native speakers involved in its development and review
• Regularly updated
• Accurate and reliable
• Fun to use and explore
• An excellent self-study investment
"The lemmatizer is one of the biggest advantages of the app when compared to the printed version of the NLD. Lakota is a highly agglutinating language. Affixes are added to words all the time, so unless you know the stem of the word with affixes, you won’t be able to find it in the dictionary. The app does that for you. If you type in e.g. waŋwíčhablake the app will show you the entry waŋyáŋkA."