A project of the Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation
A new way of experiencing Europe’s most ancient literary culture, implanted in its unforgettable landscape.
ToposText is a new interface that links readers and travelers to Europe’s most ancient literary culture and to the Greek landscape that inspired it. TT presents 5000 places relevant to the ancient Greek world -- ancient cities and shrines, medieval castles and towers, modern museums and excavation sites -- primarily in Greece but including major places from Spain to the Caucasus. It links those places to the ancient authors who wrote about them in Greek or Latin. A large classical library married to an up-to-date gazetteer, freely available as a mobile application or this web site.
Education / Reference Tool:
- Accurate coordinates for thousands of Greek historical sites
- Each site indexed to the ancient literary sources that mention it.
- A huge, free, portable library of classical texts in English
- Texts and places stored on-device – no internet access necessary.
- Location-aware display of site information.
- Recent archaeological information on many sites.