From taking in the bright lights of Edinburgh and Glasgow to witnessing the majestic splendour of the Scottish Highlands, Welcome to Scotland will open doors and make your budget go further.
NO ROAMING CHARGES – All Scotland maps and information about more than 16,000 points of interest are pre-loaded so no internet connection is needed.
Whether you live here or are a visitor, our app will help you discover the real Scotland.
Don’t leave home without it!
SAVE MONEY – Take advantage of a wide range of exclusive discounts and special offers from all over Scotland. With cut price entrance to attractions and great offers from restaurants and places to stay you’ll pay for the app in no time.
WHERE TO STAY? – Any place in Scotland – choose from over 9,500 hotels, guest houses, B&Bs, holiday cottages, self catering apartments, hostels and caravan and camping parks. And don’t forget to take advantage of our exclusive accommodation deals.
WHAT’S NEARBY? – With GPS discover things to see and do near you, from attractions and activities to where to stay and the best restaurants, cafes and shops. Whether you fancy golf at St Andrews, a whisky distillery tour, or even a trip to Edinburgh Castle, use our app to find out what is on offer.
WHAT’S THAT? – The latest Augmented Reality function transforms your phone into a virtual tour guide. Identify all 500 of Scotland’s highest hills and find out about Scotland’s historic sites and monuments.
WHAT’S ON? – Check out information on the principal events from around Scotland: festivals; highland games; concerts and theatre. Search by week or month.
INTERACTIVE MAPS – Preloaded zoomable maps cover the whole of Scotland. More detailed regional maps provided with no roaming charges.
FULLY COMPATIBLE – Android 2.2+
TOWNS AND CITIES – Includes information on Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Dundee, Aberdeen, Stirling, Perth, St Andrews and many other towns.
Please help us make our Welcome to Scotland app even more useful and send your comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How the Explore Scotland app makes holiday planning quick and easy:
• Find places to visit and things to do, wherever you are or wherever you'd like to go
• Tailor your search by what you like to do, what's nearby or by name
• Find the best way to get about with our in-built journey planner
• Save places or events to your trip itinerary for easy reference
• Map view to easily find and navigate to places and events near you
• Get contact details for local businesses in a couple of clicks
• Scotland's largest and most comprehensive events, attractions and activities search, updated daily
• Travel planner - find out how best to get to your chosen destination
• Local weather checker
• Restaurant and bar finder
• Accommodation search
* Please note Android 4.0.3 users may encounter some issues with this application, we recommend upgrading to a more recent Android version.
The guides are available here on an Area or Track by Track basis with a descriptive text, whilst the audio content is combined with sponsor generated images into short YouTube videos.
All our guides feature and are sponsored by quality local businesses en-route - representing the most interesting Places to Visit and very best places to Eat, Drink and Stay.
[ From castles to palaces, country house hotels to loch-side inns, farmhouse b&bs
to cosy self-catering cottages, even a couple of private islands!
We also show case independent retailers and farm-shops along with local food producers, distilleries and breweries. Alongside many outstanding artists, crafters and pottery outlets with numerous museums and galleries.]
All these sponsors are listed on the App. by Area and Type and shown along with geo-navigation, live web and phone links, description and images and also displayed in conjunction with extracts from our Audio Guides.
This is a unique and interactive way to Discover Scotland, it’s history, folklore wildlife, outstanding natural beauty; with awe-inspiring mountains, forests and lochs as well as its numerous islands & dramatic seascapes.
Alongside it’s villages, towns, cities and unique culture.
An easy to use and FREE format – putting all the information we have generated over many years of travel and research into one convenient place.
Ideal to help plan a visit or whilst on the go as you discover Scotland!
MobileReference guides help you get the most out of your vacation. The guides are available for most destinations worldwide and always include FREE offline GPS maps. Over 3 million MobileReference Travel Guides have been downloaded.
The world’s most popular electronic guides developed for your smartphone have the following features:
✔ GPS map loads to your smartphone memory - no network access needed once the app is downloaded.
✔ GPS map displays your location along with nearby sights and attractions.
✔ MobileReference guides use vector-based maps so they load quickly and are easy to zoom and scroll.
✔ Unlike other travel guides, GPS coordinates for attractions have been verified by users on the ground.
✔ Attraction articles can be accessed from both an alphabetical and a categorical index.
✔ Top 10 attractions article features sights that no visitor should miss.
✔ Articles include tips on what to do and see in your destination.
✔ Articles can be added to a list of favorites.
✔ The top restaurants have been individually selected by MobileReference editors. These restaurants are marked by a star in the EAT chapter and are plotted on the GPS map.
✔ No ads
✔ No roaming charges
MobileReference Travel Guides provide detailed, practical information about attractions, landmarks, transportation, cultural venues, dining, lodging, history and much more. They are indexed alphabetically and by category, making it easier to access individual articles. Attractions can be viewed on an offline GPS map along with your current location so that you can easily find attractions near you as you explore the city.
This fully-functional guide is absolutely free. The full version (only $4.99) adds Text-To-Speech and expands articles with more information about attractions, history, culture, itineraries, phrasebooks and more. Listen to complete articles on the go with Text-To-Speech: double-tap on a word to start Text-To-Speech from the selected word or select Menu > Start Text-To-Speech.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Essentials: Eat | Drink | Sleep | Contact | Respect | Stay Healthy | Stay Safe | Driving in the UK | Units Conversion
Scotland: Regions, Cities & Other destinations | Get in | Get around | History | Geography | Politics | Culture | See & Do | Buy
Maps: Scotland | Regions | Scottish clans | Scottish Borders | South West | Central Belt | Scottish Highlands | North East | Hebrides | Orkney Islands | Shetland Islands | Edinburgh Districts | Edinburgh City Center | Glasgow | Aberdeen
Edinburgh: History | Culture | Eat | Drink | Sleep | Contact | Cope | Stay safe | Get in | Get around | Airport | Districts | Streets | Hills | Get out
Edinburgh Attractions: Top 10 | Itinerary | See | Do | Buy | Buildings | Hotels | Churches | Parks | Museums | Theaters
Aberdeen: Get in | Get around | History | Talk | Climate | Old Aberdeen | Architecture | Museums | Parks | Do | Buy | Eat | Drink | Sleep | Stay Safe | Get out
Glasgow: Get in | Get around | History | Talk | Geography & Climate | Districts | Culture | Architecture | See | Museums | Do | Buy | Eat | Drink | Gay & Lesbian | Sleep | Stay Safe | Contact | Get out
Inverness: Get in | Get around | History | Geography & Climate | Culture | See & Do | Eat & Drink | Sleep | Get out
Dumfries: Get in & around | History | Geography | Culture | Do & Buy | Eat & Drink | Sleep | Stay safe | Get out
Dundee: Get in & around | History | Talk | Geography | Culture | Buy | See & Do | Eat & Drink | Sleep | Stay safe | Get out
Stirling: Get in & around | History | Geography | See | Do | Eat | Drink | Sleep | Contact | Get out
-MobileReference®. Free maps for worldwide destinations™.
↪︎ ROUTING IS OUT ↩︎
Get driving directions from your current location to any spot on a single map.
➣ Over 20M downloads worldwide.
➣ TOP 1 mobile travel app in more than 100 countries.
➣ Featured in Forbes, TechCrunch and Washington Post.
Optimised for your phone and tablet (even without 3G).
➣ ROUTING. Receive map directions to a specific location. Never get lost again with GPS navigation.
➣ WORKS EVERYWHERE. Download any map for free. Useful at home and essential for travel with 345 countries and islands covered. Paris, France? Check. Amsterdam, Netherlands? Check. Barcelona, Spain? Check. New York, USA? Check! Rome, Italy? Check. London, UK? Check. Pare-Pare? Yeah, that’s Indonesia. Check!
➣ HIGHLY DETAILED. Offline maps just got better! There’s millions of points-of-interest (POI) to discover: search for restaurants, tourist attractions and destinations, gas/petrol stations, ATM machines, metro/ subway stations and more. Up-to-date map data is added daily by map users worldwide – www.openstreetmap.org – open-source alternative to Google Maps/GMaps and MapQuest.
➣ NO INTERNET NEEDED. Maps work when no internet connection is available. Forget about roaming charges when travelling abroad.
➣ INCREDIBLY FAST. One of the fastest offline maps ever. Displays map when others don’t. Innovative map data compression makes MAPS.ME offline maps remarkably small. Save memory on your device.
➣ Bookmarks of places. Create and import/export from other maps for easy access anytime. KML/KMZ files are supported.
➣ Offline search. Locate everything you need on the maps and use it as a travel guide!
➣ Location-sharing. Let your friends and family know where you are! Send a pin of any place on the map via email or SMS.
➣ Auto-follow mode. When enabled, the map automatically orients itself to the direction you are moving.
If you have any questions, contact us at: email@example.com. We respond to every enquiry.
Use it as your GPS navigator!
It's free and you don't need an internet connection to see the map!
Search addresses or points of interest.
Get routing to destination.
It includes a detailed list of points of interest for tourists, accommodation, parking, restaurants, bars, clubs, cinemas, theatres, auto services, shops, parks, schools, hospitals, sport areas.
The application has detailed maps of major cities in United Kingdom: London, Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Sheffield, Bradford, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Kirklees, Fife, Wirral, North Lanarkshire, Wakefield, Cardiff, Dudley, Wigan, East Riding, South Lanarkshire, Coventry, Belfast and others.
This application is based on Osmand project under the GNU GPLv3 license and uses high quality data from OSM.
This fiercely independent little country on Europe's fringes is so packed with history and charm that exploring it is well worth a few weeks of anyone's time.
Many visitors will already be familiar with many of the classic Scottish set pieces before they arrive: tranquil lochs, heathery glens, hilltop castles and brooding mountains, idyllic beaches, pretty villages and homey pubs with good local whiskies are all fairly easy to find. But of course there's far more besides, particularly in Scotland's two great and very happening cities: Edinburgh and Glasgow.
By using 1184 photos and 24,000 words in 155 entries SCOTLAND'S BEST will help you zero in on the sorts of things you will enjoy most on your trip to Scotland. It does this by listing all the key attractions in several NICHE CATEGORIES and by weaving many of these together into a few ITINERARIES for those simply wanting bit of everything. The itineraries also include suggestions of where you might get a good bite to eat along the way.
★ Fine Dining
★ Golf (WITH extensive background info)
★ Historical Sights (WITH extensive background info)
★ Luxury Accommodation
★ Star Attractions
★ Sports & Activities (including skiing & mountain biking)
★ Whisky (WITH extensive background info)
★ Scotland in a week (6/7 days)
★ Classic Highland Tour (3/4 days)
★ Skye (3 days)
★ Edinburgh (1 day)
★ Glasgow (1 day)
★ Cairngorms & Moray (1 day)
★ Glencoe & Argyll (1 day)
★ Moray & The Great Glen (1 day)
★ Perthshire & Cairngorms (1 day)
★ Trossachs & Stirling (1 day)
✔ Easily SORT entries – by category, name, price, distance (using your device's inbuilt GPS) or region.
✔ Submit COMMENTS easily: give the author a piece of your mind for free!
✔ One-click website LINKS (including Twitter, Facebook & YouTube).
✔ One-click PHONE CALLS (on phones)
✔ Biannual UPDATES
✔ Detailed MAPS
✔ NAVIGATE quickly using the app's global search and hyperlinks between entries.
★ About the Author ★
Christian Williams has been a freelance travel writer since moving into his Edinburgh flat in 1998. He's covered destinations all over the world, but mostly specializes on Germany and Canada. He's lived in Scotland for 15 years and is pleased to finally be writing about somewhere on his doorstep.
★ About Sutro Media ★
This guide is published in partnership with Sutro Media. By enabling local writers to share their expertise on mobile phones, Sutro Media is making it easier and more fun to explore the world!
If you have any problems, comments, or suggestions for improvement, we'd love to hear from you - firstname.lastname@example.org
Trust Trails helps you locate your nearest Trust property and provides all the essential information you need to plan your visit. Our easy to use maps, descriptions, images and opening times equip you with all you need to explore more than 80 amazing places.
Better yet, it's bursting with outdoor walking trails that take you through our beautiful gardens and grounds, along with themed trails that connect properties based on their unique cultural, historic, and heritage connections. Explore the Jacobite Trail that spans seven properties and some of the most poignant moments of our past. Gardeners are spoiled for choice with our Gardens Trail and families will love the Adventure Playgrounds Trail - why not visit them all!
Once you've visited, leave your mark on these special places by giving each a star-rating, leaving comments and uploading your own images.
• A full list of National Trust for Scotland properties, accessible by a GPS enabled map and ‘near me’ or alphabetical list functions
• Property image galleries
• Property details, opening times, prices and contact information
• Links to Trust Trails and GPS-tracked walks at properties.
The app features:
• A journey planner for public transport options between any two locations in Scotland, featuring all bus, coach, rail, Glasgow Subway and ferry routes,
• Departure boards showing next scheduled buses at every stop in Great Britain! Live bus times are shown in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Angus, Ayrshire, Inverness area and Orkney where available,
• View live rail departures for all stations in Scotland,
• Transport times also shown for Scottish ferry terminals and Glasgow Subway stations, together with local taxi details relevant to your location,
• See full Scottish routes on the map, with all scheduled calling points and stop times displayed,
• News & Notices affecting public transport services,
• Contact details for all Scottish public transport operators.
For the strategic road network, the app provides direct access to Traffic Scotland. This section features:
• Current trunk road incident information,
• Live-Eye Views from motorway and trunk road cameras,
• Current journey times for major routes,
• Details of current and planned roadworks,
• Regularly updated weather and planned events info.
You can also listen to the latest live travel information on the Traffic Scotland Radio player.
The Glen Nevis App contains valuable information for visitors. Eight outstanding Scottish countryside walks are detailed in the glen. Over fifty points of interest are detailed with photography, descriptions, quick facts and Gaelic audio. Points of interest are marked for each walk so you can follow a walk or explore on your own. Explore scottish clan history, scottish wildlife such as red squirrels and Butterflies. Quality maps from Harvey maps are included for each walk and for the Glen overview. A gallery of high quality scottish photography of the Glen from local photographers is included. GPS alerts can be enabled allowing notifications of nearby POI. Photos can be taken with the app and compiled into the Nevis Memories area. Pre-visit and sustainability info is also included to make your visit smooth whilst leaving no trace.
Additional content can be unlocked via a simple in app payment. Proceeds go to the Friends of Nevis charity that helps protect Glen Nevis.
1. Package size is 23.61MB, app to sdcard is enabled.
2. Please restart the app after purchasing the full version via in app payment.
Enhance a visit to once of Scotland's most beautiful glens with information at your finger tips on landscape, wildlife, people and history of the area. Support the Friends of Nevis, a local charity working to protect this amazing area. A bargain at only 99p!
For new visitors pre-visit info and sustainability sections are included. Directions, travel information and useful contacts are detailed. The sustainability section explains the unique pressures on the local area and what visitors can do to leave no trace.
The app details eight set walks of different difficulties around the glen. Each walk is graded and has listed distance and ascent. A full text description is included alongside the marked route on an interactive Harvey map. Points of interest (POI) marked on route can be viewed at any time. Your current location is shown at all times (subject to GPS being enabled). Photos can easily be taken during the walk and added to the Nevis Memories area.
Over fifty POIs are listed in the glen searchable by category and text. These can be viewed on the glen overview map and filtered by search criteria. Each POI includes an image, Gaelic translation (where applicable), full information and quick facts. The POI can be shared with friends via Facebook, Twitter or email. The POI map location can be viewed. The POI can be saved and viewed in favourites.
The map view shows all the POI and can be filtered by category or photo opportunities. Icons can be clicked to show POI. Current location is shown. Map can be dragged/pinched to move/zoom.
The My Glen Nevis (MGN) area shows Nevis Memories and POI favourites. Photos taken with MGN are geotagged and can be later shown on the map. Notifications prompt the users to photo opportunities. Nevis memories can be shared again via Facebook, Twitter or email
The Nevis Gallery showcases dozens of high quality images from local photographers. The gallery can be swiped through or opened as a slide show.
Users can adjust app settings to control screen size, GPS, notification types and proximity, and map settings.
The Glen Nevis App was produced by AppEvolv on behalf of the Nevis Partnership. Funding bodies involved in the project include the European Regional Development Fund, The Highland Council, Harvey Maps and the Friends of Nevis.
Keywords: Fort William, Munros, Ben Nevis, Glen Nevis, Scotland, Scottish Clans, Scottish Walks, Gaelic, Red Squirrels, Harvey Maps, Photos of Scotland, Midges
Welcome to Luxury Scotland - Gateway to the best of Scotland and a great source of information on Scottish Luxury Hotels, golf course, spa resort and restaurants. With details of country house hotels, city centre hotels, castles, a luxury yacht and a famous luxury train, this is your starting point for discovering Luxury Scotland.
Features of the Luxury Scotland guide include:
Introduction to Scotland
A guide to Spas and Golf Courses
Location Maps for listed properties
Future editions will include offers and new articles
Quote from Jeremy Hawkings, CEO Connoisseurs Scotland:
"The Luxury Scotland app opens up a rich source of travel information for today's discerning traveller to Scotland. This is our first step into the world of mobile apps and we aim to build on this first stage with future editions covering whisky, history, natural Scotland and more interactive features."
Discover Scotland’s extraordinary design landmarks, innovations and designers with our immersive map; track or visit V&A Museum of Design Dundee’s first touring exhibition, Design in Motion, in collaboration with the Travelling Gallery on its journey around Scotland.
V&A Museum of Design Dundee will be an international centre of design for Scotland - the first ever design museum to be built in the UK outside London. Renowned architect Kengo Kuma's first British building, V&A Dundee will be a new living room for the city – a place for all to enjoy and be inspired. Our galleries will be the first dedicated home to the story of Scotland's outstanding design heritage – of the past, present and future. We will showcase world-class touring exhibitions from the V&A – the only purpose built galleries in Scotland large enough to show these shows in their entirety. We will import the best of international design to Scotland, and export the brilliance of Scottish design to the world.
- A super-fast, fully interactive and immersive 3D way to discover design in Scotland.
- Pins to save your design discoveries and share them with V&A Museum of Design Dundee - pinned places will always stay visible.
-See the route of our Design in Motion bus and find out when we’ll be at a location near you during 2015.
-Design categories to explore from engineering to game design and from fashion and textiles to design for performance.
- View current weather conditions with spectacular visual effects.
From the Clyde shipyards, to wading birds on the estuary; or the grouse moors of the highlands to the gaelic poetry inspired by the landscape, the stories describe the links between man and Scotland’s rich natural environment.
The stories are narrated by well-known broadcasters Fiona MacDonald and Mark Stephen and include poetry and sound effects as well as sounds of the natural world.
The app includes
• stunning images from noted photographers showing Scotland’s diverse wildlife, landscapes and places of historical interest.
• interviews and snippets from experts and enthusiasts. Listeners can hear from bird experts, a distiller, a countryside ranger and a broadcaster, among others, as they share their knowledge and passion about the natural world and natural resources of Scotland.
Provided by PLACE STARS (http://www.placestars.com).
- SIMPLE: Very easy to use simple offline maps without hard-to-understand functionality. It’s just a map, and it’s very easy & simple to use! You don’t have to learn to use the Offline Map App, just download and start the app.
- USEFUL: The Offline Map App is very informative and you may check it yourself! It includes topical articles from Wikipedia - the online encyclopedia, edited and prepared for you by our editors to use offline in our application without Internet connection.
- COMPASS FEATURE: New compass feature helps users orient themselves while navigating in new destination.
- ADDRESS SEARCH: Find cities, streets, houses with our easy-to-use super search feature.
- POINTS OF INTEREST SEARCH: Filter and search any places - point of interest (POI) on our map based on categories such as restaurants, bars, night clubs, museums, parks and more.
- GET DIRECTIONS: Show routes to any point on the map - address, bookmark, POI (bar, café etc.)
- SAVE BOOKMARKS: Easily save current location to bookmarks and display it on the map anytime.
- MAPS ARE AVAILABLE OFFLINE: Download and store the entire map data in your mobile phone locally, and use the map without internet connection. There are no roaming charges, as long as the application is completely offline and it doesn’t use internet to access the data at all. Maps work anywhere!
- NO MOBILE ROAMING CHARGES: Offline map - means no online connection and no internet roaming – no payments for using maps. Application stores maps on SD flash card or internal memory of your mobile device and uses them every time you start it, so it works without internet.
- DETAILED VECTOR HIGH RESOULTION 17xZOOM: The app uses VECTOR maps, vector data means that you will get maximum detail and zoom, maximum coverage with a small map file - that is why our 17xZOOM is very detailed. It allows zooming-in with high resolution.
- LOCATE YOURSELF: Detect your precise location with the GPS function. Your location will be shown on our offline map.
- FAST: It is a fast map app. Zoom works fast, navigation is fast. We use data compression “know-how” algorithm to make the application work fast.
- UP-TO-DATE MAPS: The maps are fresh and updated as long as we use OpenStreetMap (OSM) maps, edited and supported by half a million of people all over the world. Our Offline Map App uses only fresh data.
- FREE UPDATES: You will get absolutely free updates forever as we add new versions.
Take a journey to find your ideal course at Abertay University.
- Dynamic course finder
- Add favourite courses for quick reference
- See course details and entry requirements
- Abertay University web links, email and telephone contact.
- Share: Find the perfect course and share with your friends on Facebook
- Share: Tweet about the courses that interest you
- Course titles and information are for the 2013 term.
The course suggestions are entirely based on the way in which you have responded to the questions throughout the application. The Abertay University application is strictly an information resource. The application is not meant to be a substitute for the "face to face" advice of a career advisor who can ask additional questions that may arise.
It is essential that you thoroughly research the nature and details of each course, its entry requirements and the likely demands it would place on you personally and academically, before you apply for a place.
Entry requirements, number of places and availability or non-availability of courses may change without notice. Please visit www.abertay.ac.uk for the most up-to-date information.
Your final selection of course must always be your own responsibility. Abertay University cannot accept responsibility for any of your eventual choices.