Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes® is a best friend for children with type 1 diabetes.
By taking care of Rufus, this app enables children to gain hands-on experience with diabetes management through play! Kids can feed Rufus foods, administer insulin using a pen or a pump, and check Rufus’ blood sugar.
Rufus the Bear provides comfort and education in a safe environment by focusing on Rufus’ simulated diabetes.
• Practice diabetes basics by caring for Rufus.
• Check Rufus’ blood sugar with a glucometer, test strips, and lancet.
• Prepare Rufus’ insulin pen and dial a dose of insulin.
• Activate Rufus’ infusion site to use the insulin pump.
• Rufus’ Kitchen! Explore carb values in a variety of foods in the pantry and prepare a plate of food for the hungry bear!
• Learn about the effect of carbohydrates and insulin on Rufus’ body.
• Rufus’ Stories! Follow along as Rufus learns new sports and activities to compete in the All Star Games with 21 animated storybooks.
• Tasks with Navi. Check in with Navi, Rufus’ trainer, to unlock Rufus’ stories by completing a set of tasks to help take care of Rufus’ diabetes!
Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes has provided comfort and companionship to newly diagnosed children with T1D for 25 years. He has helped tens of thousands of kids (and parents) be brave as they learn a world of finger pricks and shots.
Just as diabetes technology has evolved and improved, so has our favorite furry friend! JDRF is proud to introduce a Rufus who can comfort and teach in a whole new way! Thanks to the JDRF-Beyond Type 1 Alliance and our partnership with Sproutel, Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes has some exciting new features, and even his own app!
Rufus the Bear is a free app to help children and families with type 1 diabetes. To enhance play and learning, this app can be used with a companion stuffed animal!
JDRF, through the generous support of our community and corporate partners, provides Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes free of charge in every Bag of Hope given to newly diagnosed children with T1D.
We recognize that some parents and children who have already received our classic furry friend may want to add a new Rufus to their family! We have limited numbers available for purchase on the JDRF Store.
Sproutel is a patient-centered research and development company focused on kids' health. For 10 years, Sproutel has worked closely with the T1D community to help improve the lives of newly diagnosed children, focused on bringing comfort and joy through interactive play with Jerry the Bear. Together, we are now bringing our worlds together, for expanded interactivity, education, and play!