With the “bird guide Birdlife Switzerland” you can get to know and identify all bird species native to Switzerland. The free version is fully functional and includes all native species. It can be expanded with paid subscriptions, which can also be canceled at any time.
Even with the free version of the app, you get an extensive package of content and functions for all 308 bird species.
The centerpiece is the unique identification boards, which were specially made for the birds of Switzerland. They show different subspecies and different plumage. The subspecies occurring in Switzerland are specifically identified. Each panel also contains special features and characteristics that draw attention to the possibility of confusion with other species.
Another essential part of the species portraits is the extensive information in text form on frequency, size but also appearance, identification and confusion, as well as detailed information on ecology, songs, clutches and behavior. In addition to other conspicuous characteristics, the descriptive text includes references to the special characteristics of the adult males and females as well as the peculiarities in the plain plumage, breeding plumage and juvenile plumage as well as similar species. The free version of the app contains a European distribution map for each species.
Other functions of the free basic version are a search function, a manual determination function and the option of comparing different species directly with one another. This function can be used for the photos as well as for the cards, eggs and votes.
All observed birds can be saved as sightings, recalled and exported.
The free basic version of the app can be supplemented with additional extensive content and exciting functions. These are available as part of a monthly or yearly subscription. Subscriptions can be canceled at any time. Part of the proceeds from the subscriptions go to bird protection in Switzerland.
Your subscription gives you access to the following additional content:
- 3D bird models, where birds can be represented as a three-dimensional object and viewed from all sides (supported on most new devices)
- The bird display using Augmented Reality (AR), whereby the respective bird can be placed as a three-dimensional object true to scale in the environment and viewed on the screen of the end device (supported on most new devices)
- 660 songs and calls and of course the drumming of the woodpeckers
- Bird videos of all birds included in the app
- Pictures of the eggs of all birds included in the app
- Distribution maps that specifically show the distribution of each species in Switzerland.
Bird identification using artificial intelligence:
- Also included in your subscription are the exciting and very helpful features of automatic species recognition using artificial intelligence. The birds can be recognized either from a picture or from their calls and songs.