Participate in mapping the Danish flora and fauna with Naturbasen - Denmark's National Arts Portal. Report your observations of animals, plants and fungi and get help with species determination from other users. With the nature database, you can also see which species are found near you and you can use the app to get information and see pictures of 20,000 Danish species.
What is the Nature Base?
Naturbasen is Denmark's largest Citizen Science project whose purpose is:
• to collect observations about the Danish flora and fauna
• to support nature management and research in Denmark through collaborations with ministries, national parks, municipalities, consultants, etc.
• to strengthen popular nature monitoring (Citizen Science) through atlas projects and by developing and using modern technology
• to create a network of nature enthusiasts who, through knowledge sharing, gain greater insight into species determination and natural historical understanding of the native flora and fauna
With the "Report" button you can report your own finds of wild animals, plants and fungi to the Nature Base. The mobile's built-in GPS automatically finds your position and thus the exact location. You can attach photos so that your findings are documented. Data is quality assured and used in the Danish nature management. All your reported finds are automatically sent to your profile at www.naturbasen.dk, where you have a range of options for editing, adding photos, etc.
With the "Species determination" button you can report an observation without knowing the exact species name. You simply select a category, eg plant or day butterfly, and report your find. Other members of Naturbasen will then help you with the species determination. Once you have received the answer, simply edit the observation so that the species name is correct. Remember only wild animals, plants and fungi!
Under "My observations", your most recently reported finds of animals, plants and fungi are shown, where you, among other things. can get more information about the species you have reported.
Participate in Naturbasen's atlas projects
The nature base runs a number of nationwide atlas surveys. In such projects, the distribution of the species is registered in a nationwide network of 10 x 10 km squares. The mapping provides a basic knowledge of the species' distribution, which is used in both research and management of nature in Denmark.
With the “Atlas” button you can see which atlas square you are in and it is possible to go to the projects' websites and see which species have been seen in the square and which species should be searched for.
Lexicon of Denmark's flora and fauna
The "Search species" button is Denmark's largest reference work on Danish animal, plant and fungal species. Here you can search for the country's more than 40,000 species and for the most part see pictures, distribution maps, phenology graphs and species descriptions.
See what animals, plants and fungi you can see near you
With the button "What can I see here?" you can see what flora and fauna are near you. You can set the following:
• Radius: Select whether you want to see species within a radius of 100-5000 m from your position
• Days: Shows all observations seen on today's date this year and previous years +/- number of selected days
• Species: Select whether you want to see all species groups or only a selected species group
See if you're in a nature area
With "Where am I?" you will be told whether you are in a national park, a bird sanctuary, a habitat area, a protected area or a reserve. If you are not in one of the five area types, you can see if there are exciting nature areas near you.