Hike and bike trails that traverse the length of the First World War trench lines from Bonfol in Switzerland, through northeast France to the Belgian coast. The app delivers 1000 kilometres of unforgettable experiences for those who are interested in history, endurance challenges, thru-hiking, bikepacking, curious explorers, fundraising and family weekenders. The Western Front Way app is the only tool to guide you along these new trails, challenge yourself to new heights and go on an adventure like no other.
To explore the bespoke trails, the annual subscription to the WFW app is a must-have. The app offers a range of convenient features that allows hassle-free planning, including information on hotels, amenities, and restaurants along the trails. It offers precise navigation so you will always know where you are with on/offline mode available. Using a familiar, easy-to-use grid system, you will find tailor-made, story-led stage highlights and viewpoints telling you about the events that took place where you are.
The app evolves with new features: Detailed itineraries to explore sections of the trails. Capital city commemorative, self-guided walks providing stories around landmarks and monuments. Leader boards to rank personal challenges and share tips. Capability for users to tag points of interest creating a community of followers who can discover new stories along the trail year after year.
Navigation – Two bespoke, hike and bike, GPS-led trails;
• Accurately track your progress with confidence along the WFW 1000km trails
• Easily accessible routes unique to the WFW app
• Trails linking designated routes connecting significant historical locations
• Know where you are at all times with exact GPS location
• Points of interest identified on maps with interactive icons
• In-stage, trail tips to guide you north and south.
• Offline navigation allows downloading routes before departure
• *Note* WFW uses GPS tracking when it is enabled, but continuous use of online tracking will decrease battery life.
Planning – The only tool you need to plan, book, go.
• Pre-purchase examples of stage highlights, amenities, stage stories and resources
• Accurate planning with ‘List View’ showing distances and timings of entire route
• A convenient grid system to maximise user experience & indicating ability, budget and desired destination
• POI’s include museums, accommodation, supermarkets, and multiple historical sites and facts per stage
• Further resources show local culture and direct you to local tourism information offices
Challenge Yourself – scale over the height of Everest, beat the record time.
• You will be hiking, biking or running along the largest commemorative project on the globe
• A global landmark for a curious and intrepid worldwide audience
• Hike, bike or run the trails and beat the current record holders
• Challenge yourself, discover and learn at the same time.
A global audience - bringing history to life.
• See how language, cuisine and landscapes were affected, much still visible today
• Audio content in every stage
• Real life stories and letters that still resonate today
• Discover perspectives of all nations who fought and lived along the conflict lines
• Learn of some of the unsung heroes of the First World War
• In app links through to international interpretation centres and our network including the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Vimy Ridge and VisitFlanders
If you have any app questions, email us at email@example.com
If you have your own stories or tips email us at firstname.lastname@example.org