If you like to keep a record of the beers you've sampled, Beermad mobile provides an easy-to-use way to do it. And it's now completely free (I got sick of wasting time making trial and full-featured options).
Please note this app does not come with a database of beers. It's up to you to add any beers and breweries you want to record.
Record as much or as little about each beer as you want, these items of information are there if you want them:
* beer name
* alternative names
* whether sampled or not (useful if you want to keep data on beers you haven't had yet)
* date sampled
* where sampled (the app can record the GPS co-ordinates of pubs you use, then pre-populate this field depending on where you are)
* your personal rating of the beer (choose your own range)
* the beer's regularity (regular, seasonal, irregular, etc.)
* the beer style
* the colour of the beer
* the container the beer came out of (cask, keg, bottle, etc)
* (for bottle-conditioned beers) whether you preferred it with or without the sediment poured in
* date the beer was added to your database
* date the beer was last updated
* add a photograph (either taken within the app or imported from elsewhere on your device)
* your personal notes about the beer
* where and when you first sampled a beer.
* up to four extra fields that you can define to hold whatever information you want
You can also record as little or as much as you like about your breweries:
* Brewery's name
* Is it currently brewing?
* Town or village
* Website URL (creates a link on the brewery detail view)
* Quaffale reference (creates a link on the brewery detail view)
* Cyclops reference (creates a link on the brewery detail view)
* Telephone number (tap the number on the brewery detail view to dial)
* Email address (tap to write email)
* Notes about the brewery
* Whether or not the brewery recommends serving its beers through a sparkler
* Date the brewery was added to your database
* Date the brewery was last updated
* Plus up to four fields you can define your own use for
Explanation of permissions
* take pictures & videos, record audio. Now needed as taking of photographs has been incorporated into the app rather than using your external camera app. (it doesn't actually record audio, but the library I'm using won't work without this permission).
* read/write USB storage & access/write to SD card, test access to protected storage. Needed so that the database can be exported and imported from your SD card.
* network access. Needed so brewery websites can be displayed within the app rather than opening a separate browser.
location. This is used if you record where you sampled a beer. The app records the co-ordinates of pubs you set and automatically populates the "where sampled" field with the pub you're in if it finds it. If you don't like this, you can turn it off in the preferences and your GPS will not be touched.
When you contact me using the "email developer" option, the app includes in the email details of the type of device you are using along with information about its screen resolution, as well as details of your app's saved settings. This is to help me diagnose any problem you may be reporting, as there are a huge number of configuration combinations and a bug you encounter may be unique to your setup.