The world is increasingly aware of the perilous state of wildlife, and there have been widescale reports of declines in numbers of insects. Butterflies are no exception, being threatened in many parts of the world. There is an urgent need to greatly improve the knowledge of this vital part of biodiversity to help inform their conservation.
This European Butterfly Monitoring (eBMS) App enables you to contribute to butterfly conservation by providing important information on where different species occur and the numbers found in different places across Europe. Contribute your counts of butterfly species alongside accurate location information, added via a dynamic map or via GPS acquired route information. You can add photos to support your observations. This free resource makes it easy to keep track of what you see, while making your data openly available for scientific research, education and conservation.
Your data will be kept securely and will regularly backed up. Your sightings will be made available to experts to review and will be shared with the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) to enable them to be used for wider research to support conservation.
• Works fully offline
• Enter lists of butterfly species from any location, with minimal effort
• Full list of European butterfly species based on Weimers et al. (2018)
• ‘Record as you go’ functionality for incremental listing and counting butterflies
• Map tools that enable you to add the area counted for butterflies
• Checklists customised for your preferred country
• Entire app translated in multiple languages
• Share your sightings with others interested in monitoring butterflies
• Contribute to science and conservation