'PitToCar' allows team members to send meaningful messages to drivers who are using 'PitToCar Rx'. A simple and lightweight pair of apps which have been used with great success by myself, hopefully you're able to get the same amount of value from them as me.Requirements
- Two or more 'connected' Android (Lollipop (v5/API 21) or newer) devicesHow?
Configuring the application is fairly straight forward, follow the steps below:
- Download 'PitToCar' to 'device A'
- Download 'PitToCar' Rx to 'device B'
- Inside 'PitToCar' press the Settings button found in the top right corner to display your unique pairing QR code
- Inside 'PitToCar Rx' press the Scan QR Code button in the top right corner and scan the QR code displayed in 'PitToCar'
That's all there is too it, and assuming both devices are connected to the internet you may now send your first message. It is possible to pair/associate multiple 'PitToCar Rx' applications, but keep in mind any message sent will be delivered to ALL running paired 'PitToCar Rx' applications.
By default 'PitToCar Rx' displays the current time, delivered messages replace the time for around 60 seconds before they disappear. An undelivered message has a configurable timeout which by default is set to 120 seconds. This means that any message that hasn't been delivered within the configured timeout will never be seen by the driver. I find that a message is usually valid for a single lap of the circuit and adjust timeout based on the drivers average lap time of the circuit we're at.
A fixed message is also configurable inside 'PitToCar Rx', this can be useful for displaying information that is unlikely to change during a race. Things like new brake pads, a reminder of the pit speed limit, or even just something to focus the drivers mind.
To quickly send a previously sent message again, tap your chosen message. This will populate the message box automatically, you are then able to send the message as is, or edit it slightly.
If you would like to delete a previously sent message, long tap your chosen message and press OK to the warning. If the message has yet to be delivered the driver should never see it. Hopefully it goes without saying that delivered messages can't be unseen be the driver.Support
If you're struggling with any aspect of either app or have suggestions on how you believe they can be improved please contact me directly so we can discuss.Future Development
There is scope to extend the app in a number of ways:
- True multiple 'PitToCar Rx' support, giving ability to choose which devices to send messages to
- Simple real time OBD & GPS based vehicle telemetry
- Physical accept/request steering wheel mounted buttonsDisclaimer
Before using this during sanctioned motorsport events, please check local regulations to make sure the use of this app doesn't land you in bother with organisers.More Infohttps://motorsportmaker.com/pittocar-android-application/