With transportation representing about a third of the world’s carbon emissions, and a team passionate about making transport work better for all. We set about designing an effortless solution to encourage both active travel and make it easier to discover the environmental impact of ones transport carbon footprint.
CarbonDiem works by taking clues from your speed, location and pattern of movement to automatically identify travel by foot, bike, metro, train, bus, car or air. Then we apply UK government reference carbon multipliers (from Department of Transport) relevant to the mode you travelled and distance covered to give carbon impact.
[Please note users outside of the UK will for now have UK carbon multipliers applied in their country. This will over estimate public transit computations in some countires like France where nuclear energy powers the railways. We plan to offer local carbon multipliers in due course.]
We’ll also calculate calories burned when walking and cycling and show you impacts of all your mobility choices. And you can personalise your ‘private car’ to reflect if you own a diesel, petrol, hybrid or EV.
And because we believe passionately in the ethical use of geospatial data you can even pause or stop the automatic mode detection. Or volunteer it for our data commons.
* Fully functional in in +50 countries (elsewhere air, active and road travel captured)
* Edit your travel history by clicking the icons in the ‘Journeys’ screen
* Add journey legs by clicking the ‘Add’ button at the bottom of the ‘Travel List’ screen
* Swipe left or right to see different charts on the ‘Compare’ screen
* Tap the icons in the legend to show or hide transport modes on the ‘Compare’ screen
* CarbonDiem still works even without data roaming. so it won’t add any of those nasty data bills while you’re abroad.
* Battery usage will be increased, but you should still get through your day.
The app permissions explained:
* Your Location: Smartphone GPS and accelerometer sensor data are used to help identify transport mode.
* Network Communication: Allows the app to backup your trip and carbon emissions data. So that your trip and emissions history can be automatically reloaded onto your phone if the data is wiped or you switch devices. Also allows the app to update its emission calculations with any improvements.
* Storage: Your data is written/read/deleted to local storage for running the app in the CarbonDiem folder on your SD card. NO other files or folders are accessed.
* System Tools: Run at startup and wakes the phone up very briefly to analyse journeys even when your phone is in your pocket. It does NOT stop the phone from going back to sleep.
We would love to get your thoughts at CDfeedback@travelai.co.uk