BirdPro is the ultimate app for identifying and appreciating the birds of South Africa.
You can download and test the app for free with a limit sample of 100 birds, and when you are ready you can upgrade to:
- Birds of Kruger National Park
- Birds of South Africa
It boasts an award winning identification tool and has a vast source of information:
- Over 6000 beautiful and diagnostic images from various angles and of all variants, e.g. immature, males, females, dark and light morphs. You can even show the actual size of eggs!
- Over 1600 comprehensive and clear bird calls
- Informative and comprehensive information on each bird
- Interactive and accurate bird distribution maps, even showing the migration patterns per month where applicable.
- Names of birds in 16 languages, including most native South African languages as well as German, French and Portuguese.
The SmartSearch function allows you to select your current, or any other location and the birds at that location will be filtered. Over and above the GPS location, you can search by shape, type, colours, size, where seen, bird calls and more. There are 100's of attributes you can choose from, which makes identifying a bird accurate and easy. As a first ever bird app achievement, the resulting bird list is sorted by relevance with the most probable birds matching your search criteria at the top, which makes it extremely quick and accurate. The ability to remove birds from the results is a game-changer.
You can also log your sightings with trip descriptions, date, photos and notes, which are then indicated as pins on the distribution maps. Sightings lists can be viewed and can even be synced to a website and shared between devices - even between Apple and Android devices.
No internet connectivity is required to operate the app after it is installed which makes it possible to use the app in the most remote locations.
All updates are regular and free.