• It is the first comprehensive text ever written on the subject of duplex systems, which is the generic term for painted hot-dip galvanized steel.
• Both the traditional batch hot-dip galvanizing process and the modern sheet galvanizing processes are covered.
• The author offers a combination of practical information, which will enable the engineer to select the proper materials, and scientific background information.
• The practical guidelines are backed up and supported by an impressive amount of technical and scientific discussions and justifications.
• Modern surface analysis tools and recent applications are described.
• The world literature on the subject matter is covered and is up to date.
Duplex systems, which are based on the synergistic effect of galvanizing and painting, offer maximum protection against corrosion of steel surfaces in environments where galvanized steel alone cannot offer a sufficiently long resistance against rust formation. Since adhesion problems can be eliminated by the correct application of special paint products, and by sophisticated surface pretreatment and modern surface analyzing methods, duplex systems are nowadays used in a large number of industrial and domestic applications. Major savings can thus be achieved on materials and maintenance cost. Duplex systems serve also where colour is required, e.g. for aesthetic reasons, for enhancing visibility or for camouflaging.
The author of this book has an unsurpassed experience in this field and the many case histories of successful (and unsuccessful) use of duplex systems for corrosion prevention provide a wealth of practical information. Including 108 colour illustrations, the book will be useful to a large group of industries, such as the paint, metallurgical, galvanizing, building, automotive, electrical and chemical industries.