Using this guide you'll learn how to:
• Prevent and diagnose causes of damage
• Identify pests and key natural enemies
• Establish and IPM program for your grove
• Use biological control and other non-chemical methods
• Manage problems related to irrigation, nutrition, and the growing environment
• Determine when direct control actions are warranted
Illustrated with 386 color photographs and 64 line drawings and charts that will help you identify and manage over 100 important pests and disorders.
The book's 435 pages present the practical experience and research-based advice of more than 100 University of California (UC) and industry experts, including:
• Pest-resistant plants and landscape design
• Planting, irrigating, and other cultural practices that keep plants healthy
• Conserving natural enemies to biologically control pests
• Efficient monitoring so you know when to act
• Selective pesticides and when their use may be warranted
• Numerous references to regularly-updated, online guides with more pesticide choices and the latest IPM practices
Inside you'll find:
• 575 high-quality, color photographs to help you recognize the causes of plant damage and identify pests and their natural enemies. 140 more than the previous edition!
• 101 line drawings and charts of pest biology and control techniques
• Problem-solving tables to help you diagnose the pests and maladies of more than 200 genera of alphabetically-listed trees and shrubs
Also in the 3rd Edition are dozens of newly added pests, including those affecting azaleas, camellias, hibiscus, camphor, eucalyptus, liquidambar, oaks, maples, palms, pines, olive, roses, and sycamores.
You’ll learn how to establish an IPM program for your nursery, techniques for managing pests in flower and nursery crops, how good cultural practices can nip problems in the bud, disease control techniques for root and crown decays, vascular wilt diseases, and pathogens infecting flowers and foliage, how to identify and manage aphids, leafminers, thrips, whiteflies, mites, nematodes and weeds.
Handy crop tables give you a symptom-based guide for accurately diagnosing problems and the recommended controls for problems affecting 120 major flower and foliage species. Loaded with outstanding color photos and diagrams, references, suppliers, and a comprehensive index -- this an indispensable guide for anyone in the green industry.