This little app was primarily developed to help children get started with the bits and bytes world.
1.) Using the bit mask fields at the top of the view, you can quickly see the effects of bit assignments. Shift operations can thus be understood very easily.
2.) Bit operations (AND, OR, XOR) are very important in programming. This app may help you to save some paper when you get to know these operators for the first time :).
3.) With the bit field extractor, bit fields can simply be 'examined'.
4.) An IEEE 754 converter has been added, which should help to better understand the internal storage of floating point numbers. This topic is relatively complex, even computer science students sometimes find it difficult to deal with this topic at the beginning. :)
5.) Starting with Vers. 1.0.4 a HowTo- guidance has been added that guides you step-by-step through conversion to the IEEE-754 format and vice versa. The HowTo-guidance is called by the options menu at the upper left side.
This app can also be a helper tool for software developers, especially when you've had a long night of programming and the bytes start to dance in front of your eyes while you have to deal with bit fields :)
- supports INT8, INT16, INT24 and INT32
- easy handling of values by clicking the corresponding bit field
- bitwise shift functions (SHL <<, SHR >>)
- bit operations (AND, OR, XOR)
- bit field extractor (for easy decoding values stored within bitfields)
- easy set/reset all bits (Set All Bits, Reset/Zero)
- IEEE 754 (floating point numbers) converter
- IEEE 754 conversion guidance (Vers. 1.0.4)
- adaption of Android scheme (light/darkmode)
This app was created by me with great care, but I cannot guarantee that this app will always generate meaningful results! The floating point number functionality in particular should only be used for initial training purposes.
I exclude any liability and guarantee for any damage that may arise from using the app! By using this app you accept this disclaimer!