This app runs in the background and monitors the official National Weather Service (NWS) alerts for your area. New alerts will appear on the status bar, and by selecting it, you can read the details.
You can also choose how urgent of a notification to get, based on the NWS Severity. An Extreme alert coming through? Then you'd probably like vibrate, lights AND bell for that! But a simple Wind Warning? Probably not as much. You can choose the level of response in the preferences.
Simple Weather Alert allows you to monitor one location for NWS alerts. If you want to monitor more locations (including locations that move with you), then consider purchasing Pro Weather Alert.
Simple Weather Alert Features:
+ Monitor NWS weather alerts for your area
+ Choose how to be notified (lights, bell, vibrate)
+ Modify notification based on NWS severity (go crazy for extreme alerts, such as Tornado Warning)
+ Alerts keep updated automatically as long as you have connectivity
+ Browse the alert list when there are multiple alerts, and read the details and instructions for the 2 MOST SEVERE alerts, as well as any EXTREME alerts.
+ An app widget added to your home screen allows for easy on/off toggling of lights, vibrate and sound settings. The alerts will still be checked and put on your status bar though, so you can keep an eye on it during class or church, without it causing distraction.
+ Key words and phrases list. Create a list of words or phrases, and when an alert is received that contains those words or phrases, it will be marked in the alerts list with an icon, and the phrases will be highlighted when you read the alert details.
+ Email an alert to friends or send via text message (requires Contacts List permission), so they can be warned as well.
+ Post an alert on Facebook or your Twitter feed, to get the word out fast.
+ Input your location by city, county, zip code, or let the app find your phone location by GPS or network location providers.
You can view the app manual here:
An explanation of permissions: The SMS and Contacts List permission are required so you can send an alert to someone via text message. The contacts list permission allows for easier selecting of the number.
IMPORTANT: While we take all possible precautions to make sure this app will get you critical alerts on time, the unforseen can still occur, as well as simple cell/network outages. Thus, we do not recommend that you ever rely on this app ALONE for tornado warnings. Please use this app along with other methods to ensure you are alerted in time.
NOTE: If you are certain the app is not sending you the alerts it should, please use Menu:Troubleshooting to send us debug info about it so we can work to resolve it quickly.
If you run into any other issues with this app or have questions, send us a note in the Menu:Troubleshooting screen. Also, visit the developers blog on our website for a list of current issues we are addressing.
Note: there is a free version of this app. You should try that one first to see how you like it.
* This is a companion application to Earthquake Alert! *
** NOTE: this is *not* a real time system. Data comes from USGS and they post earthquakes online many minutes after the event so there will be delays of 5-20 minutes usually.
* Please email me for issues. I cannot respond to comments or feedback on the app itself.
Try creating a custom location filter vs. the "near me" filter - that one relies on your phone's location and isn't always up to date when the quake comes in.
**On of the "Best New Android Apps From The Last 3 Weeks" (2/23/13 - 3/12/13)**
Get your family and home ready for a tornado. The American Red Cross tornado app is the complete solution you need to understand and prepare for a tornado and all that comes with it. With interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to be ready!
Ahora disponible en español.
• Easy to use Spanish language toggle to switch translation directly inside the app.
• Audible siren when NOAA issues a Tornado warning for any of your monitored locations letting you know when it’s time to go to your safe room plus an all-clear alert when the warning expires (Note: Alerts' sounds will NOT override if phone is on vibrate or in sleep mode)
• Simple step-by-step instructions to help you know what-to-do even if the cell towers and TVs are down. Prioritized actions for before, during, and after requires no mobile connectivity
• Help distant friends and family in tornado alley with ability to receive tornado watch and warning alerts based on their location from NOAA
• Red Cross location-based open shelters map for when you need it most
• Be ready should a tornado hit by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation
• Reduce your household’s stress and anxiety should a tornado hit by learning to make and practice an emergency plan
• Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your tornado knowledge
• Know how many tornadoes have occurred in your area
• Know the difference between a watch and a warning
• Learn how to deal with food and water impacted by floods and power outages
• Simply let friends/family know you’re safe with customizable “I’m Safe” notification sharable thru social media, text and email
• Let others know where you are with the Toolkit’s strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions
Copyright © 2013-2014 The American National Red Cross
* Access to station content specifically for our mobile users
* 250 meter radar, the highest resolution available
* Future radar to see where severe weather is headed
* High resolution satellite cloud imagery
* Current weather updated multiple times per hour
* Daily and Hourly forecasts updated hourly from our computer models
* Ability to add and save your favorite locations
* A fully integrated GPS for current location awareness
* Severe weather alerts from the National Weather Service
* Opt-in push alerts to keep you safe in severe weather
-- Those who live their life on the fault lines should pick this app up immediately.” – Appolicious
-- A “MUST-HAVE” app that “…basically turns your mobile device into an all-in-one post-quake tool, info center, and instruction guide.” – TremblingEarth
-- 20 Best Android apps this week – Guardian News (10/4/2012)
-- Red Cross earthquake app helps before, during and after disaster – Cronkite News
-- Featured by AndroidPolice.com (10/2012)
Be ready for an earthquake with Earthquake by American Red Cross. Get notified when an earthquake occurs, prepare your family and home, find help and let others know you are safe even if the power is out – a must have for anyone who lives in an earthquake-prone area or has loved ones who do.
Ahora disponible en español.
• Easy to use Spanish language toggle to switch translation directly inside the app.
•Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after an earthquake, even if no data connectivity.
•Get notified when an earthquake occurs; see the intensity impact to your area or those of loved-ones with notifications generated by the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
•Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
•Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
•Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
•Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
•Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
•Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your earthquake knowledge with interactive quizzes.
•See an illustrated history of earthquakes in your area.
•Know how to what to do about food and drinking water when your area has been impacted by floods and power outages.
DIRECTLY CALL PHONE NUMBERS: We need this to allow you to call emergency numbers from within the app
CAMERA: We need to be able to use the camera to allow us to use the flashlight in Tool Kit
GPS LOCATION: We need to serve you earthquake alerts based on your current location
PHONE CONTACTS: We need this for the Make a Plan view to allow you to add emergency contacts straight from your address book
Copyright © 2012-2014 The American National Red Cross
* This is a companion application to Earthquake Alert! *
It uses push notifications to alert you when an earthquake occurs that match any predefined filters.
Create as many filters as you want to monitor earthquakes all over the world. Create a filter for smaller earthquakes near your location, or one to filter very large quakes worldwide, or create a custom location and radius - it's up to you!
Push notifications use Google's GCM technology and therefore require Android 2.2.
Again, this is a companion app for Earthquake Alert!. Once you have both installed they work together seamlessly.
In addition here is what California recommends you to do in an Earthquake (source: http://www.consrv.ca.gov/index/Earthquakes/Pages/qh_earthquakes_what.aspx)
Many people think having bottled water on hand is a good idea. That’s true, as long as you have enough. Many are certain that standing in a doorway during the shaking is a good idea. That’s false, unless you live in an unreinforced adode structure; otherwise, you're more likely to be hurt by the door swinging wildly in a doorway or trampled by people trying to hurry outside if you’re in a public place.
How to be Prepared
Electricity, water, gas and telephones may not be working after an earthquake. The police and fire departments are likely to be tied up. You should be prepared to fend for yourself for at least three days, preferably for a week.
You'll need food and water (a gallon a day per person); a first aid kit; a fire extinguisher suitable for all types of fires; flashlights; a portable radio; extra batteries, blankets, clothes, shoes and money (ATMs may not work); medication; an adjustable or pipe wrench to turn off gas or water, if necessary; baby and pet food; and an alternate cooking source (barbecue or camp stove). This list can also be applied to other disasters, such as floods or wildfires.
It’s also a good idea to decide beforehand how and where your family will reunite if separated during a quake and to conduct in-home practice drills. You might choose an out-of-the-area friend or relative that family members can call to check on you.
Securing water heaters, major appliances and tall, heavy furniture to prevent them from toppling are prudent steps. So, too, are storing hazardous or flammable liquids, heavy objects and breakables on low shelves or in secure cabinets.
Discuss earthquake insurance with your agent. Depending on your financial situation and the value of your home, it may be worthwhile.
During an Earthquake
If you're indoors, stay there. Get under -- and hold onto --a desk or table, or stand against an interior wall. Stay clear of exterior walls, glass, heavy furniture, fireplaces and appliances. The kitchen is a particularly dangerous spot. If you’re in an office building, stay away from windows and outside walls and do not use the elevator.
If you're outside, get into the open. Stay clear of buildings, power lines or anything else that could fall on you.
If you're driving, move the car out of traffic and stop. Avoid parking under or on bridges or overpasses. Try to get clear of trees, light posts, signs and power lines. When you resume driving, watch out for road hazards.
If you're in a mountainous area, beware of the potential for landslides. Likewise, if you're near the ocean, be aware that tsunamis are associated with large earthquakes. Get to high ground.
If you’re in a crowded public place, avoid panicking and do not rush for the exit. Stay low and cover your head and neck with your hands and arms.
After an Earthquake
Check for fire or fire hazards. If you smell gas, shut off the main gas valve. If there's evidence of damage to electrical wiring, shut off the power at the control box.
If the phone is working, only use it in case of emergency. Likewise, avoid driving if possible to keep the streets clear for emergency vehicles.
Be aware that items may fall out of cupboards or closets when the door is opened, and also that chimneys can be weakened and fall with a touch. Check for cracks and damage to the roof and foundation of your home.
The map has the standard pinch/zoom capability which allows you to smoothly zoom and pan around the United States and see what the weather is like anywhere.
MyRadar shows animated weather, so you can tell if rain is headed toward or away from you, and how fast.
In addition to the free features of the app, a few additional upgrades are available; see severe storm warnings for your area, as provided by the National Weather Service, and real-time hurricane tracking - great for the start of hurricane season!
MyRadar currently only shows weather in the United States, and only in the 48 contiguous states - not Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.
Download MyRadar today and try it out!
For those who want to know everything about the weather conditions and alerts both for today and the next 10 days, the past 365 days, hurricanes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, geomagnetic storms.
App has twenty original widgets of the weather, radar, earthquakes, alerts, moon phase, barometer, geomagnetic index, UV index, rain and snow amount etc.
Annual archives of air temperature and sea for any city in the world allows you to choose the good time and place for the travel. You can compare the weather in the current year with the weather in the last year. Also you can always have your own opinion about the statements that has never was so cold, hot, wet, dry.
• Two world-renowned weather providers: Foreca and US weather provider,
• Hi-Def, Real-Time animated NOAA (NEXRAD) Radar on Google maps (USA only),
• Hurricane tracking,
• 365 days weather archive,
• Solstice, Equinox, Polar night, Polar day, Solar eclipse, Lunar eclipse
• Sea surface temperature on weather map, widgets, noification area,
• Barometer with headache indicator,
• Beautiful animation,
• Cloud satellite layer on map (USA, Europe, Japan and Australia),
• 130,000 locations all over the world,
• Twenty original widgets of the weather, radar, time, moon phase, barometer, geomagnetic index, and UV index (1x1, 2x1, 2x2, 1x4, 4x1, 4x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x2, 5x5 etc),
• Widgets for lockscreen was added (only for Android 4.2)
• 126 weather alert categories.
• Radar widget on OpenStreetMap (for USA only),
• Ten day forecast,
• Ten notification indicators in the status bar: temperature, moon phase, earthquakes, alerts, barometer etc,
• Earthquakes widget on OpenStreetMap,
• Weather Alerts (Advisory, Watch, or Warning) from NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration);
• Black ice and freeze warnings,
• One-hundred latest earthquakes in the world on Google map,
• Pressure forecast graph (Foreca only),
• Moon phase, moon rise and moon set times,
• Sunrise and sunset times,
• Duration of the day,
• World map with weather alerts, weather, earthquakes and local time.
• Geomagnetic storm forecast,
• Wind speed and directionality indicators in both 10-day and hour-by-hour forecasts (except Foreca),
• 24 hour by hour forecast,
• Current weather conditions,
• Only uses 10 KBytes of internet traffic per city for each weather update,
• World clock,
• METAR from weather station (except Foreca),
• UV index,
• Visibility on the roads,
• Dew point hour by hour graph;
• Precipitation probability,
• Precipitation amount: rainfall and new snowfall amount,
• Follow by location (uses GPS or Cell Network location determination),
• Full tablet support,
• Share forecast, alerts, earthquakes by e-mail and SMS
• Alarm clock time on clock dial and graph
• Has a built-in barometer. A diagram is displayed which shows the atmospheric pressure changes for the past 24 hours. A red warning display is produced when the barometer detects changes more than 0.2 inhg.
• Provides information on the last 100 earthquakes from all over the world. View the latest earthquakes in a list or on a map. Provides information regarding magnitude, time and distance. You can filter earthquakes by their magnitude and distance from your location
The most unique feature in this application is the “Weather Clock”. It provides all of the previous information in an hour-by-hour clock format and is very interactive.
Payment is one time, no ads, no any in-app payment, free updates.
If you have ANY questions, there is an FAQ section that takes you directly to the website. If your question is specific to your customized set up, customer service is courteous, knowledgeable, willing and able to help with fast turn around time.
With this app,you can see Magnitude 1.0+ from the Japan and Magnitude 3.0+ earthquakes from all over the World.
Also, you can search the earthquakes occurred in the past.
- See latest earthquakes around the World
- Earthquake data source
* [USGS] U.S.Geological Survey
* [JMA] Japan Meteorological Agency
- Push alerts of earthquakes straight to your phone
- Provide historical data with earthquake in 100 km range when you search
Whether you’re a storm tracker or planning for the school day, The Weather Channel app brings the most useful, hyper-localized forecasts, radar maps, conditions, and alerts directly to you.
KNOW THE WEATHER ANYWHERE, RIGHT NOW.
-- Forecasts: Choose hourly, 36-hour, 10-day and weekend forecasts in Celsius or Fahrenheit.
-- Current Weather Conditions: More than temperatures, get “feels like” weather, humidity, dew point, sunrise, sunset, wind speed, UV index, visibility and barometric pressure.
-- Weather Maps: Fast-loading radar maps show past and future radar. Map layers show road or satellite views, water temperature, wind speeds, snow cover, and more.
-- Customizable push alerts
-- Severe Weather Alerts: Stay safe with NWS notifications of severe weather, and know the moment tornado and severe storm watches and warnings are issued.
-- Breaking News Alerts: Keep informed with national weather news updates.
-- Rain Alerts: Avoid getting surprised by the rain with real-time alerts for your GPS location and morning rain reports for your favorite locations.
-- Pollen Alerts: Know the pollen counts near you. We’ve got your back, if not the tissues.
To configure your alerts, go to the settings menu and select sign-up.
DIVE DEEP INTO YOUR WEATHER
-- Hurricane Tracking: Follow the path of tropical storms and hurricanes, and see their projected paths.
-- Social Weather: Take pictures and share the amazing weather you experience, plus report it directly to us. Your reports help others track approaching weather. Geeky? Yes, and proud.
-- 24/7 Remote Temps: Populate your notification bar with the current temperatures of your favorite locations worldwide.
-- Weather Widgets: We have widgets available in 1x1, 2x2, 1x4 and 4x4. You’re welcome.
-- Seasonal Tools: Our pollen counts, airport delays module, and beach & boat planner help you keep your plans in harmony with the day’s weather. (MOBILE DEVICES ONLY)
-- Weather News: From severe storms to straight-up bizarre weather occurrences, we’ll keep you up-to-date.
-- Weather Videos: Local forecasts, climate change news, and everything in between, all streamed in HD.
-- Sleek Interface: Easy to use and beautiful in its simplicity.
-- Stunning Imagery: Amazing background photos match your current weather conditions. Did you notice?
-- Love For Android Tablets: The best weather app and widgets are optimized for Android Tablets.
THE WEATHER CHANNEL ON THE WEB AND SOCIAL MEDIA:
All the weather, wherever you go: find us at weather.com, like us on facebook.com/theweatherchannel, and follow us on Twitter @weatherchannel. After all, #ItsAmazingOutThere
We’re always looking to improve our app and appreciate your feedback. So please rate, review, and +1 us in the Google Play Store. If you have suggestions, submit them to http://feedback.weather.com
Not only are NOAA forecasts the most accurate, they provide unique point forecasts for every square mile which take into consideration all the variables affecting the weather at that point, such as altitude. This is especially useful in locations with highly dynamic weather patterns and is a great tool for being outdoors.
-View forecast & current conditions for your current location.
-View forecast & current conditions for any location in the United States and Canada by map.
-Save favorite locations to quickly retrieve forecasts for them.
-Animated radar, cloud cover, precipitation & pressure imagery over Google Maps
-Map measuring tool to measure distance and elevation
-Hazardous weather alerts
-Current conditions notification
-Home screen widget
-Light and dark Material themes
-Optimized for tablets
-Android Wear support
An ad-free version of this app is also available:
Please e-mail me below with any bug reports or features requests. Thanks!
Weatherproof your day for free with these features:
• AccuWeather MinuteCast® – minute-by-minute precipitation forecasts for the next two hours hyper-localized to your exact street address or GPS location. Includes precipitation type and intensity, and start and end times for precipitation. Available for the contiguous United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Japan, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, and a growing list of global locations.
• MinuteCast widget now available. Also available, homescreen widget displaying two-day forecasts with severe weather warnings for your GPS location and a time clock. Resizable, multi-location widgets also available with even more weather detail.
• For worldwide locations, when AccuWeather forecasts snow, ice, rain, wind, or the probability of thunderstorms, you’ll see an orange exclamation point displayed within the location’s current and 15-day screens.
• Push notifications for severe weather alerts in the United States.
• Radar for all of North America and Europe, and worldwide satellite overlaying interactive Google Maps™ with a snapshot view of the maps for your saved locations.
• Current news and weather videos, with many available in both English and Spanish.
• Social media sharing so you can share your location’s current conditions, hourly, or 15-day forecasts using the social media apps you have on your device.
You also get the accurate, local weather forecasts and customization you expect from AccuWeather:
• Accurate and local forecasts for every latitude/longitude on Earth. Forecasts update every 15 minutes with information for the next 15 days – all in 33 languages and dialects.
• Current weather conditions update every 15 minutes with the very latest humidity and precipitation percentages, dew point, visibility, UV index, wind speed gusts and direction, times for sunrise and sunset, and RealFeel® – AccuWeather’s exclusive weather forecasting system that analyzes multiple weather factors to determine how the local temperature actually feels.
• Local weather forecast summaries that provide an overview of the next five days’ weather forecast along with a description of the most dramatic weather event expected during the five days.
• Status bar on the homescreen displaying the current temperature for your current or home location.
• Ability to store an unlimited amount of locations.
• Choice between metric or imperial units, 12-hour or 24-hour time display, and portrait or landscape view.
Please note: Sunrise and sunset times are found in Daily Details which can be viewed by tapping on daily forecast. Also, AccuWeather Holo Dark and Light widgets display RealFeel® and occupy only the 4x1 space.
Download AccuWeather for free and experience the Superior Accuracy™ that comes from high-quality weather forecasting.
Phivolcs Earthquake Alerts provides a better medium to read updates regarding earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic activities rather than using a web browser and viewing it in a small device.
Only the latest few entries are retrieved. If you wish to view all earthquake recorded entries in the Philippines, please visit the portal instead.
The app also includes a worldwide listing of earthquakes using USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) data.
So people are using this app in preparing against earthquakes.
You can see a real time image of a ground motion of Japan.
This app will notify you of earthquakes by alarm sound, voice or/and vibrator before the ground motion arrives a place you are.
All people who travel to Japan need this app.
(1) Real time image
You can see a real time image of the ground motion of Japan. Also you can see real time waveform of the ground motion up to 16 observation points.
(2) Notification of the earthquakes
A notification server is always monitoring the ground motion of Japan even if you don't use this app. When the earthquake occurs, the server sends notifications to your device by using Google Cloud Messaging before the ground motion arrive place you are.
The notification condition can be set by an estimated seismic intensity and a region. You can choose a combination of alarm sound, voice, vibrator, auto-popup of the app and message as a notification method. The alarm sound can be changed to what you like. The voice notification speaks the seismic intensity and regions.
Earthquake Early Warnings (EEW) are issued by the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) are also displayed and spoken in English.
This app also supports automatic tweets of the earthquake information and images of the ground motion and waveform plots.
HOW TO USE
(1) Registration to the notification server
After installation of the app, just once you start it, then your device will be registered automatically.
(2) Button functions
Button functions are as follow (from left)
* History button displays a list of earthquakes, any items can replay by touch.
* Replay last earthquake.
* Synchronize time to server. / Back to current time when replay mode.
* Change servers.
(3) Settings of notification condition
Menu > Notification > Notification condition
Set notification condition by selecting an Estimated seismic intensity or a PGA (Peak Ground Acceleration). You would receive notifications in more earlier time by setting lower value.
NOTE: Seismic intensity means Japanese seismic scale in this app.
(4) Settings of notification region
Menu > Notification > Notification range
Menu > Notification > Regional settings
If you do not need all notifications for countrywide, set either "Notification range" or "Regional settings". "Notification range" require permission to access Location service (No GPS used). "Notification range" is not valid outside of Japan. You would receive notifications in more earlier time in case of setting to wide-range.
(5) Settings of notification method
You can choose a combination of alarm sound, voice, vibrator, auto-popup of the app and message. The alarm sound file can be changed to what you like. The voice notification speaks the seismic intensity and regions. (English Text-to-speech is required)
Vibration pattern inform you of an earthquake intensity.
* Less than seismic intensity 2: once per 2 seconds.
* Seismic intensity from 3 to 4: twice per 2 seconds.
* Greater than seismic intensity 5: three times per 2 seconds.
(6) To display waveform
A waveform display function is valid when connecting to New server and operating in a landscape mode.
To change server: Menu > Server/Run mode > Server selection
To add new point, touch a Japanese map and select observation points.
To change display order of waveform plots, drag each waveform to desired place.
To delete a waveform plot, touch the waveform longer than 0.5 second.
This app uses data of "Realtime ground-motion monitoring system (Kyoshin monitor)". It is a web service which is provided by National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED). http://www.kyoshin.bosai.go.jp/
I deeply appreciate them who are providing such a valuable data.
Alerts from news sources can take several minutes to appear, and if you lose power you may not have access to the news.
With Tornado Alert, any user who sees a tornado can send an alert to all other users of the app within 20 miles that there is a tornado near by.
Alerts are normally delivered to all users in less than 5 seconds.
In addition to this, users are notified whenever they are in a "Tornado Warning" or "Tornado Watch" area, within 1 minute of the alert being declared.
Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/TornadoAlertApp
If you have any questions or feedback, our twitter feed is manned throughout the day.
You can read more about the app at http://silverwraith.com/blog/2012/03/tornado-alert-app/
Download Tornado Alert today, report tornados, and help save a life!
While we do our best to filter out false reports of tornados, we depend on the community to help everyone get through the tornado season.
We cannot guarantee that every tornado will get an alert - as more users join and alert others on tornados, we hope to develop Tornado Alert into the fastest early warning system for tornados in the country.