An Official US Navy mobile application, produced by the Navy PMW 240 Program.
The CLREC Navy Global Deployer application provides Navy personnel with training products, courses and aids designed to increase their understanding of countries and cultures around the world. A product of the Navy’s Center for Language, Regional Expertise, and Culture (CLREC), the app is a Ready Relevant Learning tool that supports the requirement for Navy Total Force cultural awareness and language familiarization.
This version of the app – REVISED AND EXPANDED IN 2018 – focuses on 27 countries, their languages and cultures:
• AFRICOM Region – Djibouti, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia.
• CENTCOM Region – Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE.
• EUCOM Region – France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Poland, Spain.
• SOUTHCOM Region – Chile, Cuba, Mexico, Panama, Peru.
• PACOM Region – Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam.
The app helps users learn cultural and societal norms unique to each country in an effort to promote international good will and understanding. The app’s objective is to prepare Navy personnel to interact successfully and cordially with local populations while living in or visiting foreign countries. These interpersonal skills are essential to the success of the Liberty Mission and American presence in strategically vital areas around the world.
For each nation, CLREC Navy Global Deployer provides useful information on such topics as language, history, geography, people, ethnic groups, religious institutions, societal norms, behaviors, etiquette, and culturally appropriate behaviors. With an initial size of just 50MB, country-specific content can be downloaded and then deleted after use, making room on your device for other content.
The CLREC Navy Global Deployer App is divided into the following sections for each nation:
• Culture Training – The Operational Cultural Awareness Training (OCAT) presentation, or a similar narrated presentation, for each country.
• Culture Card – Suitable for printing, this card provides a quick reference for information on various aspects of each country’s geography, government, language and culture.
• Etiquette Guide – Information on everything from meeting and greeting to cultural values to the significance of common nonverbal gestures.
• Language Phrases – Many useful common phrases, including audio recordings to assist the user with accurate pronunciation.
• Language Guide – Tools for autonomous language learning, including links to free online resources and training for more than 100 languages not covered in this app.
• Sections detailing General Resources available to the user, Emergency resources, and a Favorites section, which allows users to bookmark and easily access parts of the app they find personally important.
The CLREC Navy Global Deployer application offers an all-in-one approach to learning about the exciting cultures, languages and countries Sailors will experience as they engage with our vital foreign partners. We will continue to add more countries in the future. Download yours today!