It originally formed part of the Bratislava castle estate. Its settlement probably dates back to the early Middle Ages. Proof of this is the old Slovak name of the settlement - Vrač (doctor or wizard). We meet the first name Verekne (Vrakuňa) in 1290, when the settlement - founded in 1279 - received its name from its owner Lörinec Verekenyi, who at that time acquired royal property. From the end of the 14th century, the village gradually became the property of the city of Bratislava.