Guardian News & Media Ltd
Specially crafted for tablets and phones, this app brings you breaking news and full access to the Guardian's award-winning content. Tailor your home screen with the sections that matter most to you, follow your favourite writers and stories for personal alerts, keep reading when you’re offline, and save content for as long as you like.
⚫ Stay up to date with live news and sport
⚫ Enjoy the full range of Guardian content, beautifully designed for Android tablets and phones
⚫ Read offline
⚫ Make it yours by choosing the sections and topics that appear on your home screen
⚫ Stay informed with breaking news alerts
⚫ Follow your favourite stories, series, writers and football teams for personal notifications
⚫ Browse award-winning audio, video and interactive content, as well as full-screen galleries - with stunning high-resolution images
⚫ Save any content you want to keep
⚫ Read comments on articles and share your own thoughts
⚫ Search by keyword, topic, series, section, or contributor
⚫ Upgrade to the premium tier for our crosswords, specially curated content, extracts from Guardian Books, and an advert-free experience
Please note: this app is totally free to use. If you choose to upgrade to the premium tier - £2.49 or local equivalent - your payment can be taken immediately and is processed by Google Play.
Location: users can choose to include their location when contributing to our stories via GuardianWitness. As such, we request the ‘Precise location’ app permission. Including this is optional when contributing.
⚫ Terms and conditions: http://www.theguardian.com/help/terms-of-service
- Browse open GuardianWitness assignments
- Send us your videos, photos or text for an assignment (requires sign-in)
- Or just send us your stories and features (requires sign-in)
- View other contributions to see what everyone's saying and find inspiration
- Access exclusive GuardianWitness competitions and assignments
- Sign-in with Guardian account
GuardianWitness is supported by EE, the first providers of 4G in Britain, who are transforming the way people share news, information and entertainment. 4G works up to five times faster than 3G so you can upload and download photos, videos and stories much more quickly than on traditional mobile networks.
To ensure that GuardianWitness is a safe place for everyone, every submission will be moderated by our editorial team before it is made public. We reserve the right to reject any submission.
Full feature list
- 14 day free trial period (initial subscription required)
- editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- on Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- on Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every weekday
- editions from the last month available in the archive
- all article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- in-article image galleries
- video embedded in articles viewable when online
- share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- related articles within the edition highlighted
- related online articles
As you walk through the streets of King’s Cross, London, the app will automatically activate stories relevant to your GPS location. Whether you’re a first time visitor or a local resident, walk with fresh ears and eyes as you hear tales - old and new - from this part of London.
Streetstories is perfect if you have half an hour to spare to explore the area. Listen to 10 stories, from the sublime architecture of Gilbert Scott’s St Pancras to the Guardian’s home Kings Place, a cutting edge new arts complex.
Alternatively if you’d rather listen off-location, use the app in manual mode to access all the stories.
The app covers a section of King’s Cross and St Pancras.
Produced by the Guardian, whose UK offices are in the landmark Kings Place development in King’s Cross, the app provides an entertaining and atmospheric experience of the ‘Railwaylands’ area - rich in history, and rapidly regenerating.
Full feature list:
• Multi-layered audio with sounds, music and stories
• This version features a selection of 10 stories, including interviews with local historians, experts and local people. Stories include:
- Readings from Charles Dickens, set in the area
- The sublime architecture of Gilbert Scott’s St Pancras
- The area’s seedy past - including interviews with former street workers
- The Guardian’s home Kings Place, a cutting edge new arts complex
- Custom map view: Stories are mapped with dots - use pinch and zoom to help navigate
- Dual playback modes for on-location or off-location use. Autoplay uses GPS to keep track of your location, and auto-activate stories. Manual mode allows you to activate stories and listen from off-location by tapping on story dots
- Locate me button: Pinpoint your position in autoplay mode
NOTE: We’d appreciate feedback on your experience, and suggestions for how we might improve any future versions. Please leave feedback in Google Play or contact email@example.com. The app is developed in partnership with Calvium, Ltd.