Eric Weiner is author of the New York Times bestsellers The Geography of Genius and The Geography of Bliss, which has been translated into twenty languages, as well as the critically acclaimed Man Seeks God. A former correspondent for NPR and The New York Times, Weiner’s work has appeared in the New Republic, Slate, Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, Foreign Policy, The New York Times Magazine, and the anthology Best American Travel Writing. Visit EricWeinerBooks.com
• Genghis Khan, who united East and West by conquest and by opening new trade routes built on groundbreaking transportation, communications, and management innovations.
• Mayer Amschel Rothschild, who arose from an oppressive Jewish ghetto to establish the most powerful bank the world has seen and who ushered in an era of global finance.
• Cyrus Field, who became the father of global communications by leading the effort to build the transatlantic telegraph, the forerunner to global radio, television, and the worldwide Internet.
• Margaret Thatcher, whose controversial policies opened the gusher of substantially free markets that linked economies across borders.
• Andy Grove, a Hungarian refugee from the Nazis who built the company—Intel—that figured out how to manufacture complex computer chips on a mass, commercial scale and laid the foundation for Silicon Valley’s computer revolution.
From Silk to Silicon is an essential book to understanding the past—and the future—of the most powerful global forces of our times.
Masih dengan gayanya yang nakal, cerdas, dan humoris, Weiner menapaktilasi jalanan yang pernah dilalui Socrates, Michaelangelo, dan Leonardo da Vinci. Ia juga merenungkan sejarah teori Darwin, pemikiran Freud, dan berjalan-jalan di hutan seperti yang dilakukan Beethoven zaman dulu.
The Geography of Genius meredefinisi argumen tentang bagaimana seorang genius muncul. Weiner mengevaluasi ulang tentang bagaimana pentingnya budaya dalam memantik dan memelihara kreativitas.
“Weiner itu seorang filsuf, pemandu perjalanan, dan motivator, tentu saja dia juga kocak!"
[Mizan Publishing, Qanita, Traveling, Budaya, Masyarakat, Indonesia]