* How to fund a special savings account for emergencies and other unexpected costs
* Compound interest and how it can help you save more
* Tips for buying a home
* Mortgage basics, from ARMs to points
* IRA and 401(k) retirement accounts
* How to fund retirement accounts, with examples
* The pros and cons of mutual funds
* Low-risk mutual funds for your retirement portfolio
* Disability and life insurance basics
* Four types of legal documents you should prepare now
If you've been delaying planning your future finances, now is the time to get started on the practical steps that can put real money in your pocket when you need it most. Years from now, you'll thank yourself for taking some of the practical steps described in this guide. But it now!
Ian Lamont is an award-winning business and technology journalist. He has written for more than a dozen online and print publications, and served as the managing editor of The Industry Standard. His writing and editorial work has garnered industry awards from the Society of American Business Editors and Writers and the American Society of Business Publication Editors.
The guide updates traditional personal finance topics, such as budgeting, credit, debt, savings, and investment, and goes beyond those fundamentals to furnish important life lessons on such concerns as career planning, starting a business, Internet fraud, and avoiding financial scams. It even provides useful background on the tax system, how to avoid bankruptcy, legal issues young adults often face, and the plethora of government benefits they can access. In fact, young readers will come away from this book with basic knowledge of every important area of personal finance.
Ideal for teens and young adults, the volume will prove useful to parents who want to educate their children about the wise use of money, preparing them to make independent financial decisions. In addition, this book can be used to meet the standards enacted in every state for developing a curriculum guide for teaching financial literacy to high school students. It can also serve as a primary or supplementary resource in personal finance or consumer economics courses for college students and adults.
Written by experienced wealth manager Aquiles Larrea, the book gives readers a framework for coordinating their entire financial lives that empowers them to:
• solve their biggest financial challenges
• capture new financial opportunities
• position their wealth to build the life they truly want for themselves and their families.
Confronting the many challenges
Successful Latinos and their families share numerous financial concerns and goals today. Chief among them:
• Growing and preserving wealth to meet life’s most important goals and achieve financial freedom and independence.
• Gaining the knowledge and confidence to manage wealth effectively and maximize the positive impact it can have on family and community.
• Building successful businesses that thrive for years—and generations—to come.
• Transferring wealth to heirs to ensure that loved ones have a strong financial foundation on which to build meaningful lives.
• Protecting wealth from those who would take it unjustly.
• Using wealth to make a difference in the lives of family, friends, community and the world at large.
The comprehensive wealth management solution
Addressing these many and diverse issues requires a comprehensive approach—one that brings together a broad range of resources and expertise to coordinate all the strategies that must work together to build true, meaningful and lasting financial success.
That approach is comprehensive wealth management—a framework for making smart financial decisions that consists of three key components:
1. Investment Consulting—investing assets to achieve the growth and preservation needed to reach key financial goals.
2. Advanced Planning—solving the most important non-investment objectives, including reducing taxes, passing wealth on to heirs, safeguarding assets and having a charitable impact.
3. Relationship Management—assembling and managing a network of experts to help create and oversee a wealth management plan for financial success.
There’s no question that comprehensive wealth management stands in stark contrast to how the vast majority of Latino entrepreneurs and executives—as well as most financial professionals—make decisions about the most important aspects of their financial lives.
Armed with the information, insights and strategies outlined in Your Money and You: The Ultimate Guide to Wealth Management for Latino Entrepreneurs and Executives, successful Latinos and their families will find themselves better able than ever before to build, preserve, protect and leverage the wealth they have worked so hard to create.
Excel Basics In 30 Minutes, 2nd Edition is written in plain English, with lots of step-by-step instructions and screenshots that demonstrate exactly what to do. This MS Excel tutorial references Excel 2016, but most of the step-by-step instructions apply to earlier versions of MS Excel released as part of the Microsoft Office and Office 365 suites, including Excel 2013 and Excel 2010. If you don't own Excel, the book explains how to use two free online spreadsheets programs: Excel Online and Google Sheets (part of the Google Drive online office suite). The book also covers the Excel mobile apps: Excel for Android and Excel for iOS.
Topics in this top-selling Excel book include:
* Excel screen layout, cells, and terminology
* Excel 2016 vs. Excel Online vs. Google Sheets
* Basic Excel formatting
* Excel formulas and functions
* How to make charts in Excel
* Sorting and filtering
* Collaboration and sharing
* Exporting PDF, CSV, and other forms
* Printing tips
* Excel import and export formats (PDF, .CSV, .TSV, text, etc.)
This is not an Excel bible, but rather a basic Excel tutorial and reference that answers the core questions that any new Excel user will have:
* What is a spreadsheet?
* What are cells?
* What is the button with the Greek letter for?
* How can Excel spreadsheets create basic financial projections?
* How can certain data in a worksheet be highlighted?
* How can data be alphabetized or ranked?
* How to edit a chart in Excel
* How to print an Excel spreadsheet without cutting off columns
The second edition is up-to-date with new instructions and high-resolution screenshots of Excel 2016, Excel Online, and the new Google Sheets. It includes new sections about collaboration, OneDrive, and other features.
Here are some real reader reviews of Excel Basics In 30 Minutes:
“Fast and easy, this book is everything it claims to be. The material presented is very basic but it is also incredibly accessible with step-by- step screenshots and a friendly tone more like a friend or co-worker explaining how to use Excel than a technical manual.”
"One thing I particularly liked about 'Excel Basics in 30 minutes' is that it covers BOTH the MS Excel basics and the Google version basics. Explaining anything this intricate in 30 minutes is a challenge. (Can it be read in 30 minutes? Yes, I could do it, but I am not a typical user, I did not need to stop and practice the examples.) I was impressed that the book does go into some of the ‘meat’ of Excel while still being a book that someone with NO previous exposure to a spreadsheet can grasp.”
Excel Basics In 30 Minutes, 2nd Edition is authored by Ian Lamont, an award-winning technology writer and author of Google Drive & Docs In 30 Minutes, Twitter In 30 Minutes, and Dropbox In 30 Minutes.
• Write letters and reports
• Crunch numbers and create online data entry forms
• Give presentations
• Collaborate online with classmates and colleagues
• Convert Microsoft Office documents to Google formats, and vice versa
• Print documents, drawings, and spreadsheets
• Export PDFs
• Make pie charts, bar charts, and simple tables
• Publish documents and spreadsheets online using the new Google Sites
After covering registration, file creation and other basics, Google Drive and Docs In 30 Minutes (2nd Edition) zeroes in on the most important time-saving tips and productivity tools. Highlights include:
• Converting files between Microsoft Office and Google formats.
• Best practices for organizing files in Google Drive.
• What to expect with collaboration and sharing.
• The pros and cons of Google’s mobile apps for Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
• Accessing older versions of files.
• How to publish your documents to the Web for colleagues or members of the public to view.
• Functions, sorting and filtering in Google Sheets (with examples).
• Using Google Forms to gather data.
• Google Slides: Is it a suitable alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint?
• Working with offline files.
• Downloading third-party apps.
The tone of Google Drive and Docs In 30 Minutes is friendly and easy to understand, with lots of step-by-step instructions, screenshots, and examples. The guide can be used by anyone with a PC, Mac, or Chromebook. It also includes instructions for using Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides on Android and iOS phones and tablets.
Google Drive and Docs In 30 Minutes, 2nd Edition is authored by Ian Lamont, an award-winning technology and business journalist. He has written several books in the "In 30 Minutes" series, including Dropbox In 30 Minutes, Twitter In 30 Minutes, and Excel Basics In 30 Minutes.
Here's what readers are saying about Google Drive & Docs In 30 Minutes:
“I am so glad this was made! I've been using Google Docs for a while now and have been encouraging my teacher colleagues to do so as well to facilitate collaboration. It has become my go-to text book to help new users understand quickly. If you're new to Google Drive or Google Documents, this will help you. If you're experienced, and want something to help those who come to you with questions, this is a nice tool to help them remember what you show them. I highly recommend it.”
“I just got a new position that requires record keeping. Having used Google Docs in the past, I decided to update my knowledge. I googled "Docs for dummies" and this was one of the results. I liked the concept that the title implies - a concise guide that will distill what I need and allow me to complete a task quickly”
“A clear and concise explanation of how to navigate your way through google docs.”
“Excellent introduction to Google drive. Well researched, easy to read, nicely organized.”
You CAN take control of your money. Build up your money muscles with America’s favorite finance coach.
Okay, folks, do you want to turn those fat and flabby expenses into a well-toned budget? Do you want to transform your sad and skinny little bank account into a bulked-up cash machine? Then get with the program, people. There’s one sure way to whip your finances into shape, and that’s with The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition.
By now, you’ve heard all the nutty get-rich-quick schemes, the fiscal diet fads that leave you with a lot of kooky ideas but not a penny in your pocket. Hey, if you’re tired of the lies and sick of the false promises, take a look at this—it’s the simplest, most straightforward game plan for completely making over your money habits. And it’s based on results, not pie-in-the-sky fantasies. With The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition, you’ll be able to:Design a sure-fire plan for paying off all debt—meaning cars, houses, everythingRecognize the 10 most dangerous money myths (these will kill you)Secure a big, fat nest egg for emergencies and retirement!
Includes new, expanded “Dave Rants” sidebars tackle marriage conflict, college debt, and more. All-new forms and back-of-the-book resources to make Total Money Makeover a reality.
Dive deeper into Dave’s game plan with The Total Money Makeover Workbook: Classic Edition. The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition is also available in Spanish, transformación total de su dinero.
* Setting up your new iPhone 6/iPhone 6S/iPhone 6 Plus/iPhone 6S Plus
* How to customize your iPhone’s appearance
* What you need to know if you are migrating from Android
* Touch screen basics
* 3D Touch, Peek, and Pop
* Managing your Home screens
* Switching apps and multitasking
* Typing and text tricks
* Siri and its kid brother, Dictation
* Getting the most out of the powerful iPhone camera
* Limitations of Apple's Photos app
* Managing iCloud settings
* Security features, from Find My iPhone to Touch ID
* Wi-Fi and other wireless settings
* Four ways to conserve battery power
* Five ways to free up storage space on your iPhone
* How to tame notifications and after-hours calls
* Moving, deleting, and grouping apps
* Nine great apps for your iPhone
About the series: Since 2012, In 30 Minutes® guides have helped people all over the world understand complex topics, including technology, medicine, and personal finance. For more information, visit in30minutes.com.
In 30 Minutes®: Quick guides for a complex world™