Born in 1943, John Searancke lived his early life in Ashby de la Zouch. Following an education at Kings Mead Preparatory School, Seaford and Rugby School, he later joined the Territorial Army and has worked in engineering, the hotel industry, marketing and legal services. He has enjoyed working in England and Switzerland, and spends time between his homes in England and northern Tenerife, where he lives with his wife, Sally, and their beloved dog, Freddie.
Disasters start from day one when still at anchor. Pixie goes overboard and is thought to be lost. Bobby, the Captain, lands up in hospital with a dislocated shoulder… When they finally set sail in a depression they end up on a sand bank.
The aim is to go to England to avoid quarantine, but their plan to go around the cape changes to braving the Red Sea. The idea of getting to England is also given up when they realise that Pixie and Bob-tail would still be put in quarantine.
This is not a ‘how to sail’ book, it’s rather a ‘how not to sail’ book. While tragedies continue on an almost daily pattern, living aboard eventually becomes fun. Pixie, who tried to sabotage the trip, keeps them on their toes. Every port they found was fascinating and all the people they met on the way add enjoyment to the voyage.
Zoroaster's Children brings together the best of Marius Kociejowski's travel writing. A companion volume to last year's critically acclaimed The Pebble Chance, these essays, conceived somewhere between "a waning moon and the nerves behind a flayed man's face," evince the deep absorption in a people and place which are the hallmark of great travel writers.
Marius Kociejowski is the award-winning author of four collections of poetry, two celebrated travel memoirs, and a collection of his best essays, The Pebble Chance. He lives and works as a bookseller in London, England.
** The best digital companion for study and travel **
Do you want to speak Spanish? This book will help you to understand and express the basics quickly and effectively.
Designed and written for electronic devices, the SPANISH PHRASE BOOK is a reliable, easy-to-use resource for anyone who needs Spanish for work or travel.
Perhaps you can already ‘get by’ in Spanish, but want to know more? This book will let you expand your knowledge, focusing on a wide range of situations, including:
Meeting people | General conversation | Numbers & measurements | Sight-seeing | Entertainment | Travel | Hotels & accommodation | Driving | Health: illness, doctors and medicines | Emergencies | Shopping | Food & drink (lots of this!) | Business | Jobs | Education | Communications | Bank & money | Police & crime | Technology | The weather | Sports & hobbies | Time, date, year | Special days & celebrations | Family life | Pets | Describing people | Emotions | Religion
For those who simply want to be able to communicate in Spanish when visiting a Spanish-speaking country, this book is the perfect start. Are you sick of pointing to things when you want to buy them? Now you don’t have to!
And if you’re a beginner, the simple pronunciation guide to every word and phrase means that learning to speak Spanish can be a quick and straightforward process.
With all these topics at your fingertips, you will be able to:
- Conduct essential conversations
- Share and request important information
- Read menus and other information and order exactly what you want
- Ask advice and get the best out of your vacation
- Take control of your vacation or business trip
~ * ~
Whatever your needs, this phrase book is an incredibly useful way to carry the basics around with you. Ideal for quick access, it contains over 1,500 of the most useful phrases in the Spanish language, arranged in practical, everyday topics. Each phrase is translated into Spanish, and is accompanied by a simple transcription for pronunciation, allowing you to pronounce the phrase correctly, every time.
Whether you are traveling for business or learning Spanish for pleasure, Clic-book’s new SPANISH PHRASE BOOK will become your best digital companion.
Full list of contents:
1. PHRASE BOOK. Fifty-seven sections, arranged by topic, to introduce you to all the essential phrases you will need to communicate in Spanish. Each phrase comes in English, Spanish, and in an easy-to-read pronunciation format (using normal letters, not phonetic symbols).
2. PRONUNCIATION TIPS AND GRAMMAR. Some basic information to help you use the phrase book and dictionary, including an explanation of the pronunciation of Spanish, and the transcriptions used in this book.
3. DICTIONARY. A 5000-word English-to-Spanish mini dictionary to provide you with easy access to all the most useful vocabulary.
4. 100 ‘clickable’ tests. Arranged by topic, these randomised quizzes let you test your knowledge of the most common phrases and words in the book. A great way to revise and expand your understanding and recall of Spanish.
5. 60 PROMPT CARDS. Download the PDFs of sixty single-sheet prompt cards, each one on a specific topic. Each card contains the most essential vocabulary and phrases for a specific situation. They are designed so that you can have them in your hand for immediate prompts.
British spelling is used throughout, although for some technical and scientific words the more common international/American spellings have been used. We hope you enjoy the book, and that it proves helpful to you, whether on vacation, business, or if you are learning Spanish for pleasure.
¡Buena suerte! (good luck!)