A reference for area history and genealogy research.
Watertown, Wisconsin, City Directory, 1895
The only previous history of St. Henry’s Catholic Church of Watertown was written in German in 1903, at the time of the 50th anniversary of the congregation. One hundred years later, a new and comprehensive history of the congregation has been written to coincide with the 150th anniversary of St. Henry’s. The product of over two years of research, this updated history documents and adds perspective to the significant achievement of the one and one-half centuries of the church itself and also of the faith and devotion of its members over the years.
Making lighthearted use of names of books of the Bible to organize the content of this history, the author covers all aspects of the history of St. Henry’s: the church, school, parish center, rectory, and cemetery; the societies and organizations; the varied religious services; the few absolute commands of Christ and the many rules of the Church; the devotions that nurtured one’s religious life and also the events that tested one’s faith.
Particular emphasis is placed on the early decades of the 150 year history.