The original trade paperback edition of Taking Up Space was published in 2005. The ebook edition was published in 2012 and contains an additional, updated preface.
If you want to make positive changes in your life and achieve your long-term goals, I can’t think of a better way to do it than to learn how to become more self-disciplined.
Science has figured out a lot of interesting aspects of self-discipline and willpower, but most of this knowledge is buried deep inside long and boring scientific papers.
If you’d like to benefit from these studies without actually reading them, this book is for you. I’ve done the job for you and researched the most useful and viable scientific findings that will help you improve your self-discipline.
Here are just a couple things you will learn from the book:
- what a bank robber with lemon juice on his face can teach you about self-control. The story will make you laugh out loud, but its implications will make you think twice about your ability to control your urges.
- how $50 chocolate bars can motivate you to keep going when faced with an overwhelming temptation to give in.
- why President Obama wears only gray and blue suits and what it has to do with self-control (it’s also a possible reason why the poor stay poor).
- why the popular way of visualization can actually prevent you from reaching your goals and destroy your self-control (and what to do instead).
- what dopamine is and why it’s crucial to understand its role to break your bad habits and form good ones.
- 5 practical ways to train your self-discipline. Discover some of the most important techniques to increase your self-control and become better at resisting instant gratification.
- why the status quo bias will threaten your goals and what to do to reduce its effect on your resolutions.
- why extreme diets help people achieve long-term results, and how to apply these findings in your own life.
- why and when indulging yourself can actually help you build your self-discipline. Yes, you can stuff yourself (from time to time) and still lose weight.
Instead of sharing with you the detailed "why" (with confusing and boring descriptions of studies), I will share with you the "how" – advice that will change your life if you decide to follow it.
You too can master the art of self-discipline and learn how to resist temptations. Your long term goals are worth it. Scroll up and buy the book now.
As a gift for buying my book, you'll get my another book, "Grit: How to Keep Going When You Want to Give Up."
Develop self discipline, willpower and self discipline, self-discipline, self control books, stress, reach your goals, self-control, achieve your goals, instant gratification, long term goals, goal setting success, goal setting books, how to reach your goals, how to achieve your goals, persistence, how not to give up, stick to a diet, stay motivated, build habits, delayed gratification, personal development
Goldman-Cecil Medicineoffers definitive, unbiased guidance on the evaluation and management of every medical condition, presented by a veritable "Who's Who" of modern medicine. A practical, straightforward style; templated organization; evidence-based references; and robust interactive content combine to make this dynamic resource quite simply the fastest and best place to find all of the authoritative, state-of-the-art clinical answers you need.Expert Consult eBook version included with print purchase:
Access continuous updatesfrom Editor Lee Goldman, MD, who thoroughly reviews internal medicine and specialty journals, updating online content to reflect the latest guidelines and translating that evidence into treatment.
Interactive Q&A sectionfeatures over 1,500 board-style questions and answers to aid in preparing for certification or recertification exams.
Outstanding supplementary toolsinclude figures, tables, videos, heart and lung sounds, treatment and management algorithms, fully integrated references, and thousands of illustrations and full-color photos.
Search all of the text, figures, supplementary material, and references from the book on a variety of devices and at no additional cost — Expert Consult access is included with this title!
Practical, bulleted, highly templated textwith easy-to-use features including flow charts and treatment boxes.
New chapterson global health, cancer biology and genetics, and the human microbiome in health and disease keep you on the cutting edge of medicine.
Today's most current evidence-based medicine guidelines help you form a definitive diagnosis and create the best treatment plans possible.
Focused coverage of the latest developments in biology includes the specifics of current diagnosis, therapy, and medication doses.
The reference of choice for every stage of your career!Goldman-Cecil Medicine is an ideal learning tool for residents, physicians, and students as well as a valuable go-to resource for experienced healthcare professionals.