Peter H. Martorella is Professor of Social Studies Education at North Carolina State University. He is the editor of the SUNY Press publication series, Theory, Research, and Practice in Social Education. Among his many books are Teaching Social Studies in Middle and Secondary Schools and Social Studies for Elementary School Children: Developing Young Citizens.
Book features and updates to the third edition include:
• New chapter on classroom assessment that outlines and compares existing assessment strategies, contextualizes them within the framework of state standards, and articulates a constructivist approach that moves away from traditional high-stakes testing towards more meaningful ways of evaluating student learning
• New chapter that highlights and explains key elements of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, and shows how the incorporation of critical ELA instruction into the social studies curriculum can foster more ambitious teaching and learning
• Real-classroom narratives that introduce each chapter and provide in-depth access to teaching and learning contexts
• Practical curriculum and resource suggestions for the social studies classroom
• End-of-chapter summaries and annotated teaching resources