But the container didn't just happen. Its adoption required huge sums of money, both from private investors and from ports that aspired to be on the leading edge of a new technology. It required years of high-stakes bargaining with two of the titans of organized labor, Harry Bridges and Teddy Gleason, as well as delicate negotiations on standards that made it possible for almost any container to travel on any truck or train or ship. Ultimately, it took McLean's success in supplying U.S. forces in Vietnam to persuade the world of the container's potential.
Drawing on previously neglected sources, economist Marc Levinson shows how the container transformed economic geography, devastating traditional ports such as New York and London and fueling the growth of previously obscure ones, such as Oakland. By making shipping so cheap that industry could locate factories far from its customers, the container paved the way for Asia to become the world's workshop and brought consumers a previously unimaginable variety of low-cost products from around the globe.
Published in hardcover on the fiftieth anniversary of the first container voyage, this is the first comprehensive history of the shipping container. Now with a new chapter, The Box tells the dramatic story of how the drive and imagination of an iconoclastic entrepreneur turned containerization from an impractical idea into a phenomenon that transformed economic geography, slashed transportation costs, and made the boom in global trade possible.
The Sole Master’s new 24,000+ word training manual will eliminate the normally-long learning curve for becoming a successful sneaker aftermarket seller. He’ll teach you all the tricks of the trade that no one else is willing to show you, including:
– Which products to target, and why
– Where to get early release info, drop dates, and links
– How to properly analyze the aftermarket before pulling the trigger
– The proper banking setup so your orders always check-out without problems
– How to cop multiples on limited “one per customer” releases
– A list of the best “sneaker bot” software programs and a detailed tutorial on how to use them
– Web browser tricks that will have you manually copping just as many items as your bots grab
– How to nab the sudden restock alerts with a high success rate
– Where, when, and how to resell your inventory quickly for the best prices
– A complete business plan that will have you netting $3500+ from your 2nd month forward
– Personal help if you need it
Looking for a fun side business that can make your house and car payments? This is it. Copping high-demand sneakers is a blast, my friends, and satisfyingly profitable to boot. If you sit in front of a computer every day and can squeeze in a few minutes of side-activity here and there, the sneaker reseller business is for you. So let’s get started…