How are winds and currents driven? What is the dilemma of the two-layered ocean? Mark Denny explains key concepts like these in rich and fascinating detail. He explores early scientific knowledge of oceans, photosynthesis, trophic interactions and energy flow, and the impacts of human activities on marine and atmospheric systems. Focusing each chapter on a major topic and carefully explaining the principles and theory involved, Denny gives readers the conceptual building blocks needed to develop a coherent picture of the living ocean. How the Ocean Works is an indispensable resource that teaches readers how to think about the ocean--its biology, mechanics, and conservation.
- Provides a concise, up-to-date introduction to marine science
- Develops the conceptual basis needed to understand how the ocean works
- Explains fundamental principles and theory
- Includes color illustrations and informative diagrams
- Serves as a college textbook and a reference for general readers
Some images inside the book are unavailable due to digital copyright restrictions.