A book designed for SysAdmins, Operations staff, Developers and DevOps who are interested in deploying a log management solution using the open source Elasticsearch, Logstash & Kibana (ELK) stack.
In this book we will walk you through installing, deploying, managing and extending Logstash. We're going to do that by introducing you to Example.com, where you're going to start a new job as one of its SysAdmins. The first project you'll be in charge of is developing its new log management solution.
We'll teach you how to:
* Install and deploy Logstash.
* Ship events from a Logstash Shipper to a central Logstash server.
* Filter incoming events using a variety of techniques.
* Add structured logging to your applications.
* Output those events to a selection of useful destinations.
* Use Logstash's awesome web interface Kibana.
* Scale out your Logstash implementation as your environment grows.
* Quickly and easily extend Logstash to deliver additional functionality that you might need.
By the end of the book, you should have a functional and effective log management solution that you can deploy into your own environment.
Updated for Logstash and ELK 5.0.0!
About the author
James Turnbull is the author of numerous technical books about engineering and infrastructure and is a long-time member of the open source community.
James is currently CTO at Empatico, an education technology start-up in New York. He was previously CTO at Kickstarter, VP of Services at Docker Inc, VP of Engineering at Venmo and at Puppet Labs running Operations and Professional Services.