This is the best comprehensive book on telecommunications available anywhere: based on the course materials for Teracom's famous instructor-led Course 101 Broadband, Telecom, Datacom and Networking for Non-Engineers, the selection of content, its order, timing and pacing has been tuned and refined over years to effectively define and deliver the core set of technical knowledge needed by anyone serious in the telecom business today.
In one book, you get consistency, completeness and unbeatable value: a wealth of clear, concise, organized knowledge, impossible to find in one place anywhere else!
Our approach can be summed up with a simple philosophy: Start at the beginning. Progress in a logical order. Build one concept on top of another. Finish at the end. Avoid jargon. Speak in plain English. Bust the buzzwords, demystify jargon, and cut through doubletalk. Fill in the gaps, build a solid base of knowledge, put a structure in place and show how everything fits together... knowledge and understanding that lasts a lifetime.
Many chapters of Telecom 101 are like self-contained reference books on specific topics; get all of these topics bound in one volume for one low price. Compare this to hunting down and paying for multiple books by different authors that may or may not cover what you need to know- and you'll agree this is a very attractive deal.
Telecom 101 is your go-to telecom resource covering all major topics:
• The modern Broadband Converged IP Telecom Network
• Telecom fundamentals: modems and multiplexing
• Network fundamentals: packets and frames, TCP ports, MPLS
• Internet fundamentals: ISPs, DNS, cloud computing, web services, data centers
• Telecom services: residential, business, wholesale
• Digital media: digitized voice, video, images, quantities, text
• VoIP fundamentals: system components, voice in packets, SIP, softswitches, gateways
• Wireless: spectrum, mobile networks, LTE, 5G, broadband wireless, Wi-Fi, satellite
• Fiber: fundamentals, wavelengths, DWDM, Optical Ethernet, fiber to the premise
• Copper: the PSTN, analog, POTS, DSL, Hybrid Fiber-Coax, LAN cables
• Equipment: routers, Layer 2 switches, call managers / softswitches, legacy CO switches and PBXs, gateways
• The OSI Model: the Layers, their purpose, implementation, how protocol stacks work
• Ethernet, LANs and VLANs: MAC addresses, MAC frames, Layer 2 switches, VLANs
• IP: public and private IP addresses, subnets, routers, DHCP, NAT, IPv6
• MPLS and Carrier Networks: Service Level Agreements, virtual circuits, business VPNs, Class of Service
• Wrapping up: Technology deployment steps, analysis, design, implementation, The Future
Telecom 101 is the course materials for Course 101, allowing study and review of topics before attending a course, and a valuable desk reference after. Telecom 101 is also the course book and study guide for the TCO Certified Telecommunications Analyst (CTA) telecommunications certification. Telecom 101 is also an economical and convenient way to self-study... these are the materials to an instructor-led course that costs $1895 to attend.
Written by our top instructor, Eric Coll, M.Eng., Telecom 101 contains decades of knowledge and learning distilled and organized into an invaluable study guide and practical day-to-day reference for non-engineers: career- and productivity-enhancing training... an investment in life-long knowledge that will be repaid many times over.
Join thousands of satisfied customers. Get your copy today!
★★★★★ "Best Book on the Market for Telecom, 6 stars"
- Amazon Customer review (amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RPXAC8JZL8Y6D)
Eric Coll is an international expert in telecommunications, broadband and networking, and has been actively involved in the telecom industry since 1983. He holds Bachelor of Engineering and Master of Engineering (Electrical) degrees.
Mr. Coll has broad experience, and broad knowledge of telecom developed working as an engineer in the telecommunications industry.
He has used his knowledge of telecom to develop and teach telecommunications technology training seminars to wide acclaim across North America since 1992… and answering questions at seminars for companies and organizations ranging from Bell Labs to the Department of Justice keeps things up to date. In his spare time, Mr. Coll authors textbooks and online courses based on the latest updates to the seminar courses.
Mr. Coll also provides consulting services as a Subject Matter Expert in telecommunications to government, carriers, and their customers.