Experience ANZAC History brought to life! – It’s World War 1, and the battles of Fromelles and Pozieres, major battles in the Somme offensive, are raging.
Hear the story of these battles narrated by Hugo Weaving while you explore 3D battlefields, trenches and a wealth of other resources to gain an understanding of how these World War 1 battles were fought.
This app was produced by the Department of Veterans' Affairs and the ABC and is the follow up to Gallipoli:The First Day
• Narration by Hugo Weaving
• Accurate, interactive 3D map spaces pinpointing events across both battles.
• 4 detailed battle scene dioramas give insight into day to day life in WW1 - The German and British trenches, ANZAC artillery and Close Quarters fighting
• 3D models of military hardware showcasing the technology available to the opposing sides in battle.
• Video commentaries and audio war diaries, bring the poignant experiences to life featuring expert video commentary by Major Mike O’Brien and Dr Roger Lee Head of the Australian Army History Unit and Army
• Personnel records, archival photographs and military trees detailing some of the thousands of soldiers who fought on the day.
• Achievements – as users progress they are rewarded with an increase in rank and specialist medals
• Education resources linking app content to year 9 of the Australian History Curriculum