Experience ANZAC History brought to life! – It’s World War 1, and the battles of Polygon Wood and First Passchendaele, form a key part of the Third Ypres campaign.
Hear the story of these battles of Third Ypres narrated by Richard Roxburgh, explore 3D battlefields, dioramas and a wealth of other resources to gain a rich understanding of these remarkable events.
This app was produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the Department of Veterans' Affairs, and is the follow up to the award winning apps Gallipoli:The First Day and WW1:Fromelles and Pozières in the Days in Conflict series.
• 12 Chapter narrative of the Battles of Third Ypres, narrated by Richard Roxburgh.
• Accurate, interactive 3D map space of the Ypres Salient, pinpointing events across both battles and providing context.
• 4 detailed dioramas give insight into aspects of the battlefield on the Western Front in 1917 - journey through the ruined city of Ypres, and follow the Australian soldiers along the duckboarded path to the front lines; explore a A Mark IV tank bogged in mud and a Captured German Pillbox.
• 3D models of military hardware showcasing the technology available to the opposing sides in battle.
• Audio performances of war diaries, letters and poems bring the poignant experiences to life.
• Archival photographs and videos, military trees detailing some of the thousands of soldiers who fought on the day and illustrating what life was like at the front.
• Achievements for using the app allow you to record your progress through the depth of content.
• Education resources linking app content to year 9 of the Australian History Curriculum, available in the app's menu under "Settings and other Apps."