The sensor control will also enable you to identify what you see in the sky in just a few seconds, just by pointing the phone at it!
This award-winning astronomy application is finally available on Android featuring:
* a very intuitive touch-screen interface
* the integration of GPS positioning
* the control of the direction of view using the device accelerometers
* a catalog of over 600,000 stars displayed as a real time zoomable sky map
* a catalog of many nebulae and galaxies, with pictures for some of them
* asterisms and illustrations of the constellations for several sky cultures
* realistic Milky Way
* realistic landscape and atmosphere with sunrise, sunset and light pollution simulation
* 3D rendering of the major solar system planets and their satellites
* night mode (red)
Stellarium mobile is created by two of the original developers of Stellarium, the Desktop version of this famous astronomy and planetarium software.
You can now have a virtual planetarium in your pocket! Look through the eyes of your Android device* to see a virtual window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your Android device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D universe, and all of the latest high tech functionality, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star and planet visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. No need to scroll around the screen to find out what you are looking at*.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- Voice Control: Explore the solar system with commands like: "Fly me to the Moon" / "Go to Saturn" / "Tour Mars" / "Look at Andromeda" / "Where is the Cigar Galaxy?"[English only]
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your Android device at any angle.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of over 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes entire Messier catalogue of exotic deep sky objects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature allows you to shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Full search feature
- Installable on an SD card
So point your Android device at the sky and see what's out there!
Escapist Games will update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and features requests to firstname.lastname@example.org … thanks!
*Augmented Reality mode only available if your device supports it, as this feature requires a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp - twitter.com/StarChartApp
Star Chart does not require internet access for normal usage. Internet access is only required initially to verify the license and subsequently when accessing the support page and external links.
You want to know if the next lunar eclipse is visible from your location or when the next bright comet is visible? You would like to be notified by your smart phone the next time, Jupiter and the Moon meet in the sky? You want to know what the blazing bright object in the evening sky is? You want to be always up-to-date which celestial events are visible from your location? Then this app is a must-have for you!
The app does not only include a live, zoomable sky map telling you what sky object you are looking at but provides you with loads of detailed extra information on stars, planets, deep sky objects, meteor showers, comets, asteroids, lunar and solar eclipses as well as detailed ephemeris of all included sky objects and an interactive top-down view of the Solar System. All that in just one app!
- Zoomable sky map showing stars, planets, asteroids, and more (above and below the horizon)
- Interactive top-down view of the Solar System
- Live mode (point device on sky and get information on what you see)
- Calendar showing detailed descriptions of celestial events
- Push celestial events to your phone's calendar and set a reminder alarm
- Rise, set, and transit times for any object
- Position of any object in the sky (altitude and direction)
- Twilight times, length of day
- Bright Star Catalog (~9000 stars) with detailed information
- More than 400 000 additional stars from the PPM Star Catalog (Android 3.1 or higher required)
- 2500 selected NGC objects (galaxies, clusters, ...)
- Messier Catalog (110 objects) complete with images
- Caldwell Catalog (110 objects) complete with images
- Hidden Treasures Catalog (109 objects) complete with images
- Meteor streams (begin, maximum, hourly rate, ...)
- Lunar and solar eclipses information
- Lunar librations, ascending node, maximum declination
- Bright comets (automatically selected according to the date)
- Dwarf planets: The five known dwarf planets
- Minor planets: bright, near Earth, trans-Neptune (more than 10000 in the database)
- Update database online: download up-to-date orbital elements of comets and minor planets
- Moon phases, the apparent view of the sun and planets
- Current image of the Sun and sunspot number
- Automatically generated visibility report for any object
- Simulation of light pollution
- Intuitive User Interface: quickly find what you are looking for
- Widget with rise & set times of the Sun and Moon
- Maintain your favorite locations in a list
- Automatic location determination from the mobile network or GPS
- Select a location from a built-in database or online via Google Maps
- 400 observatory locations
- Choose any time and date
- Detailed ephemeris, visibility information of all objects
- Dates of conjunctions between any object with planets or the Moon
- 3D-view of the Moon and the planets
- Accurate calculations for dates between 1900 and 2100
keywords: astronomy stars, telescope, planets, messier, live, augmented reality, sky view, minor planets, asteroids, dwarf planets, mercury, venus, earth, moon, mars, jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune, ceres, vesta, juno, eros, transit, eclipse lunar, solar, sunspots, golden hour, blue hour, photography, great red spot, galaxies, cluster, nebulae, orion, meteor showers, milky way, perseids, shooting stars, ISON
* Indicates Zenith Nadir, the compass, the constellations, stars and horizontal grid coordinates.
* planetarium. Moon
* model of the Solar System.
* visualization of eclipses
* planet's phases
* planet/star switcher of camera speed
* return to the Earth
* apparent magnitude
Get started quickly
• Launch the app and point your device at the night sky, you'll see the stars, planets, satellites, and constellations in their proper place for your location. As you move your device, the star map updates in real time. The Moon is the easiest first target.
• Tap Augmented Reality icon in the upper right corner to add the image from your camera to your sky view.
• Use Night Mode to go easy on your eyes and preserve night vision when exploring the Universe.
Go deeper and beyond
• Every star, planet, constellation, or deep space object, such as nebulae and galaxies, has an (i) next to its name. Tap it to access information.
• A scale on right is the Time Machine, slide it to explore the map of the night sky of tomorrow or years ago.
• StarWalk has data on over 9000 man-made satellites. Track their flight across the sky, be it day or night, catch iridium flares.
• Meteor showers are spectacular yearly events. Star Walk can help you plan ahead and locate the meteor shower on the night sky.
Share your experience
• Post pictures from your virtual planetarium and let your friends learn about the night sky. Astronomy has never been so engaging!
Duran Duran's keyboard Nick Rhodes mentions Star Walk as his favorite app:
"With the Star Walk app, if you hold your device up towards the sky, you can see all the stars and constellations. It even tells you the names of all the planets. Then, if you point it towards the ground, it shows you what all the stars are in the other hemisphere. It’s brilliant, and if you’re ever somewhere with a clear sky and no light pollution, it’s a revelation. It’s beautifully designed and makes clever use of the available technology. I’m fascinated by astronomy, but even if you’re not, give this a go."
- The Star Spotter feature won't work for the devices that are not equipped with the gyroscope and compass.
- For Android 4.4 KitKat users: the application doesn't support ART, please switch to Dalvik.
Often the brightest stars are visible in the evening, but it is difficult to guess to what constellation they belong - Lyra, Cygnus, or Eagle. Or maybe it's Venus, Mars or Jupiter?
This question can answer this application.
* Indicates Zenith Nadir, the compass, the constellations, stars and horizontal grid coordinates.
* planetarium. Moon
* model of the Solar System.
* visualization of eclipses
3D StarMap and Solar System model in one.
Сomets are expected.
Here’s what you get.
Astronomy news - get interesting in-depth astronomy news articles delivered daily to your phone or tablet. We gather news, images and videos from genuinely authoritative and interesting sources such as Universe Today, SPACE.COM, the Hubble space telescope, and NASA.
Astronomy pictures – yes, you get captivating photos via the famous NASA image of the day. But why stop there? Through the app you can also see space photography from the Hubble telescope. Unlike the NASA photos which cover a variety of subjects, the Hubble telescope images focus mostly on the night sky, retrieving information about distant galaxies, planets and stars.
Astronomy articles - Read stories not just focusing on the US, but also international partners like Russia, China and the UK. Such stories often contain interesting facts, quotes, photography and links to videos. They cover subjects such as: observatories, astronauts, test pilots, telescopes and NASA missions.
Disclaimer: we do not own or claim to own any of the content distributed through our app. These are our personal favorite sources that we think combine informative content with ease of understanding. Easier to see them in one spot than to surf all around the web.
NASA or The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is the agency of the United States government that is responsible for the nation's civilian space program and for aeronautics and aerospace research. Most U.S. space exploration efforts have been led by NASA, including the Apollo moon-landing missions, the Skylab space station, and later the Space Shuttle. At present NASA is supporting the International Space Station and is overseeing the development of the Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Commercial Crew vehicles.
The most notable NASA activities are its space flight programs, both manned and unmanned. The latter can be either independent, carrying scientific equipment, or supportive, testing equipment for manned flights. In the beginning, NASA’s missions focused on the space race with the Soviet Union, which won the first round, but later USA took the initiative and won the final race to the Moon.
Hubble Space Telescope
The Hubble Space Telescope is a space telescope that was carried into orbit by a Space Shuttle in 1990 and remains in operation. In low Earth orbit, Hubble's four main instruments observe in the near ultraviolet, visible, and near infrared. The telescope is named after the astronomer Edwin Hubble.
Hubble's orbit outside the distortion of Earth's atmosphere allows it to take extremely high-resolution images with almost no background light. Hubble's Deep Field has recorded some of the most detailed visible-light images ever, allowing a deep view into space and time. Many Hubble observations have led to breakthroughs in astrophysics.
Hubble is the only telescope designed to be serviced in space by astronauts.
OK, that's about it.
Let us know what you think of the app, and if there's something you like us to add.
Read this curious facts collection to improve your Astronomy knowledge, or just for fun! This complete manual contains simple explanation of complicated astronomy terms and events.
What is a Black Hole? a Supernova? a White Dwarf? Find out with Astronomy Facts!
Astronomy Facts is the best way to learn Astronomy and have fun!
Create your own version for school or college submission leveraging the information in a booklet format. Learn from reports submitted by your peers on diverse educational topics solar system, our universe, origin of the universe and any other topic of interest
1] Latest news on the topic of interest
2] Best scientific information from experts in the field
2] Scholarly reports from experts in the field
3] Best videos on the topic to have fun while learning
4] Related Books on the subject
5] Save your favorite reports as books
6] Share you booklets with friends
7] Search any topic of your choice and learn
Combining simplicity and beauty with unrivalled features and power, let Vortex provide you with a stunning view of the night sky.
Augmented Reality (with camera support)
Hold your device to the sky and see an accurate representation of the stars and planets. If your device has a rear facing camera, experience true augmented reality with our sky map overlayed onto the real world! A unique experience not found in any other Android planetarium.
View the sky from any location - Use GPS, Network Provider or our powerful search feature to show you the night sky at your current location, or even the other side of the world.
Using our inovative time slider, you can see how the skies looked at any point in time, with fine control over the abilty to rewind, or fast-forward time. Select an object and watch it's motion as it rises and falls.
Huge object database
With over 20,000 objects to discover, you wont run out of things to search for! Included are
* All major and minor planets in our Solar System including all major moons.
* 88 constellations
* 110 Messier objects
* 109 Caldwell objects
* Full Revised NGC-IC catalog (Over 14,000 objects)
* More than 9000 stars
* Meteor showers
Combined with our powerful search, you will never be far away from any one of these objects!
Facts and figures
To compliment the staggering number of objects available, we have made available concise facts and information about the majority of them, with detailed ephemeris and figures for all. You will learn something new with each and every object in the sky!
Discover, at the touch of a button, upcoming celestial events such as eclipses, conjunctions, moon phases, season changes and much more. With the ability to add these events to your device calendar you'll never miss these sometimes once in a lifetime events again!
With just one button press, see what objects of interest are in the night sky right now!
Unique to Vortex Planetarium, we provide a 3 day forecast for anywhere in the world, focusing on astronomical data, like transparency and seeing. With the ability to mark those clear nights in your devices calendar, you will have no excuse to get outside and marvel at the beauty the Universe beholds.
With a bewildering number of configuration options, packaged in a simple to understand design, you can tailor Vortex to your exact needs. Maybe the constellation art is too bright, no problem, adjust it's transparency, need to adjust the number of stars you see to match the real night sky? No problem! We have pretty much every option covered, and if we don't, let us know why we should!
Beauty, speed & simplicity
Our aim is to make sure Vortex Planetarium is easy to use, extremely powerful and look stunning.
Vortex Planetarium has been optimised to run as fast and as smoothly as possible, no jerky movements when you zoom in on Jupiter. We have not ported Vortex from iPhone, it's purely an Android product. This means we can focus on optimising for the platform exclusively. This philosophy guarantees fast and regular updates.
And much more to come
We are always improving Vortex, and you will never have to "upgrade" or make additional purchases for these features and improvements.
Keywords: Astronomy, Planetarium, Sky Map, Star Map, Sky Chart, Star Chart, Stars, Planets, Star Walk
- A reminder system to automatically notify you when the next shower is coming up!!
- Expandable notifications on 4.1+ devices
- Share this app with a friend on both Android and iOS
- Widget for your home screen to show the number of days until the next shower, your location's sunrise/sunset times, and the current phase of the Moon! (widgets use very little battery and don't connect to the internet)
- LockScreen widget on 4.2+ devices
- Share details about an individual meteor shower
- Choose to sort the list of meteor showers by peak, start, or ending dates
- Swipe left/right to see next/previous meteor showers when viewing the details page
- The upcoming sunrise or sunset time is shown at the top
- Enable the "Auto theme" feature and the theme will automatically change to day and night mode before and after sunrise/sunset!
- 4 color themes to choose from: Light, Dark, Daylight, and Night
- Conduct a Google Search within the app to read even more about each meteor shower such as its origins and many, many other details and share it with your friends via SMS, Email, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, or any other social network!
- View a Sky Map search to point you approximately where in the sky to look for the meteor shower when it peaks. Compatible with SkEye and beta support for Google Sky Map
- See current Weather Forecast to get ready for the the upcoming conditions
- Shows the Phase of the Moon on the approximate meteor shower peak date!
Go out and enjoy looking at the sky!
Ad supported. To remove ads and support development, please purchase the Meteor Shower Calendar Key
- Internet needed to show ads
- Coarse location needed to calculate sunrise/sunset time
- Automatically start at boot needed for the notification system
Stars is a light application that displays the 88 constellations in the sky. Just touch the screen and see the universe moving around you.
The green line is the celestial equator, it is the projection of the eartch equator.
The red line is the ecliptic or the path of the sun. On the line is located the 12 constellations of the zodiac.
This application is standalone, it does not use any network resource.
- Recognize the 88 constellations.
- Move the world and see the stars moving
- Learn to recognize the constellations, from stars view only.
Need help picking your first telescope? Not sure what it's capable of? Why not try before you buy?!
After a series of precise mathmatical calculations, Telescope Simulator will show exactly what any planet will look like through ANY telescope!!
You can even simulate different barlow lenses or eyepieces on your currect telescope to see what it's capable of!
Select from over 50 popular telescopes from Orion, Celestron and Meade to see what they are capable of!
If your telescope is not on the list, simply tap the 'Custom' button and enter its aperture and focal length and the Telescope Simulator will do the rest!
Telescope Simulator will also simulate all the negative effects of real telescopes so you know exactly what you are buying!
Just like with a real telescope, if you magnify a scope beyond its capabilities your image will get blurry and dim.
For added effect, there is an optional 'Seeing' toggle button that factors in bad atmospheric conditions.
You can even select the Hubble as your telescope just to compare!
Like this app on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TelescopeSimulator
Keywords: jwst, saturn, astronomy, astronomer, star, star gazer, sky map, stellarium, jupiter, mars, uranus, pluto, centauri, ISS, international space station, mercury, venus, eyepiece, barlow, deep sky
This application allows you to check the features, location and visibility of each of the objects in the catalog. It also contains real images, a search engine to make it easier and faster to the location of objects and night mode so you can use it on your observations (turned-off by the icon in the upper right corner). No need to be connected to the internet to use the application.
The application can be moved to SD card.
*** Note: The Spanish version is available in https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.catalogomessier ***
For questions or suggestions you can write to email@example.com. Please, if there are problems with the translations in the text write me!.
- Planets of our solar system :
- Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune
- Stars of the Bright Star Catalogue
- Some Asterisms
The informations are based on the following parameters :
- Position of the observer
- Time and time zone
The displayed informations are as follows :
- Rise, transit and set times
- Civil dawn and dusk (for sun only)
- Azimuth and altitude
- Distance / Sun (for planets) or Earth (for moon)
- Astronomical Phenomena :
- Geocentric conjunction in right ascension
- Superior or inferior conjunction
- Quadrature west or east
- Entry in a new constellation for sun, moon and planets
The application can be added on your screen as a widget and notifications for the Astronomical Phenomana are available.
The available views are as follows :
- Google Maps View (Starting Android 4.0)
- Astronomical Clock
- Day view (altitude of a celestial object during the day)
- Sky view (position in azimuth/altitude of a celestial object and path)
- Sky maps (with Lambert, Hammer and Stereographic projections)
- Solar System map (Heliocentric view of the planetary positions)
- List of Astronomical Phenomena for a month
WARNING : legal notice - Google Analytics
Please note that the "Planetarium" application do not collect personnal data, that the IP address is anonymized and that Google Analytics can be disabled using the Options menu.
Thank you to activate from time to time this option to collect the information necessary for improving the application.
For any question regarding this application, thank you to use e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org instead of comment.
This application has been developed using the Scala Programming Language.
Keywords : sun, moon, planets, solar system, widget, astronomy, rise, transit, set, conjunction, quadrature, opposition, constellation, ecliptic, astronomical phenomena, scala
More from developer
If you are an advanced user or would like to support the development of SkEye, please consider purchasing this version.
This version has:
• Support for Comets.
• The complete NGC, IC catalog with a powerful object filter
• Satellite tracking
(Note that the updating of TLE data is still under development)
• All stars upto mag 10 are rendered.
Send an email to email@example.com
Astronomy, Sky Map, Digital Setting Circles, Star chart, Space, Planets
This app can also be used as a general Bluetooth serial terminal.
This app has two modes:
1. Type commands to directly chat with the DSC / device. This lets you test the Bluetooth link to any electronic device that supports the Bluetooth SPP profile.
2. Get a PUSHTO by switching to Aligned mode. It supports two DSC protocols right now: Craig Combe's board and BETI. More coming soon.
Read the tutorial here:
‣ Upcoming changes:
• Better UI
• Night mode
Also, checkout my other app called SkEye. It has support for a Virtual DSC! No need for messing with encoders for low accuracy applications.