Virtual ANS is a software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS - photoelectronic musical instrument created by Evgeny Murzin from 1938 to 1958. The ANS made it possible to draw music in the form of a spectrogram (sonogram), without live instruments and performers. It was used by Stanislav Kreichi, Alfred Schnittke, Edward Artemiev and other Soviet composers in their experimental works. You can also hear the sound of the ANS in Andrei Tarkovsky's movies Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker.
The simulator extends the capabilities of the original instrument. Now it's a full-featured graphics editor where you can convert sound into an image, load and play pictures, draw microtonal/spectral music and create some unusual deep atmospheric sounds. This app is for everyone who loves experiments and is looking for something new.
* unlimited number of pure tone generators;
* powerful sonogram editor - you can draw the spectrum and play it at the same time;
* any sound (from a WAV file or a Microphone/Line-in) can be converted to image (sonogram) and vice versa;
* support for MIDI devices;
* polyphonic synth mode with MIDI mapping;
* supported file formats: WAV (only uncompressed PCM), PNG, JPEG, GIF.
* many new features compared to version 2.3; see the full list: http://warmplace.ru/soft/ans/changelog.txt
Homepage, user manual and versions for other systems:
Known solutions for some problems: