Prescription Drug Abuse
Plus profiles of hundreds of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, including generic and brand name, benefits, side effects, and alternative treatment options.
DEBORAH MITCHELL is a widely published health journalist. She is the author or coauthor of more than three dozen books on health topics, including eight books for the St. Martin's Press Healthy Home Library series, as well as THE WONDER OF PROBIOTICS (coauthored with John R.Taylor, N.D.), FOODS THAT COMBAT AGING, YOUR IDEAL SUPPLEMENT PLAN IN THREE EASY STEPS, and WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT BACK PAIN (coauthored with Debra Weiner, M.D.).
This book is the ultimate answer for any woman who's ever wished she could spend unlimited time quizzing her doctor during a routine office visit. What's the ideal contraceptive for me? How can I make sure I don't have cancer? What can I do about cramps and PMS? What should I do if I have problems getting pregnant? What do all those lab-test reports mean to me? Should I take estrogen ?
Based on the latest research findings, this book comprehensively covers below-the -belt health and beyond, including mental health and other issues, plus the latest on genetics and health, which medical tests to have, and top-ten lists of ways women can take care of themselves at every age. Relax, This Won't Hurt is an invaluable resource for women, from adolescence throughout life.
* EARLY CHILDHOOD YEARS - how to cope with your daughter's physical and emotional development and ease her journey from girlhood to womanhood...
* REPRODUCTIVE YEARS - juggling career and family relationships - how best to care for your health (and sanity) during these challenging years...
* PERIMENOPAUSAL AND MENOPAUSAL YEARS - a time of uncertainty for many - how to achieve a sense of balance and wellbeing during these years of transition...
* ACTIVE RETIREMENT AND BEYOND - making the most of these 'freedom' years and how to stay active and independent for as long as possible...
Drawing on conventional and proven complementary therapies, Dr Leonard explains how we can prevent and treat a range of conditions through diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. She also provides tips on beauty and skincare that will help us all to look and feel our best - whatever our age.
Replacing doubt and uncertainty with sound, trustworthy advice, this must-have guide provides women of all ages with the very latest information they need to make informed choices about health and wellbeing for themselves, their families and friends.
• The most comprehensive, up-to-date information you need to choose the safest, most effective natural supplements for you and your family
• A-to-Z glossary of all the essential vitamins, herbs, and supplements available—with detailed descriptions, dosages, benefits, and precautions
• Simple daily recommendations for every member of the family: men, women, and children of all ages
• A handy quick-reference guide to common ailments—from acne and bronchitis to migraines and ulcers—featuring simple natural remedies that really work
• The latest medical findings on women's bone health, children's immune systems, the health effects of aging, and other need-to-know subjects
• Plus a Natural Medicine Survival Kit—an all-purpose, easy-to-follow action plan to help you take control of your family's health
· A-to-Z lists of prescription medications, herbal remedies, and natural supplements
· Proven strategies for relieving symptoms—muscle pain, stiff joints, fatigue, sleep problems, depression, irritable bowel syndrome, fibrofog, sexual dysfunction, and more
· Alternative mind/body therapies—acupuncture, acupressure, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, light therapy, massage, neurofeedback, and other methods
· Crucial information on dealing with doctors, health insurance, employment issues, disability, getting pregnant, child rearing, weight control, support groups, and much more
· Plus an easy-to-follow program of diet, exercise, and sleep that will help relieve your pain and restore your quality of life
Why is stress different for women than it is for men?
How does stress impact my body, mind, and spirit?
Am I at risk for stress-related health problems?
What are my treatment options?
How can I reduce stress—naturally?
THE WOMEN'S GUIDE TO STRESS RELIEF IN 7 EASY STEPS
A COMPLETE STRESS MANAGEMENT PLAN—Simple, stress-reducing techniques that can help you reduce, manage, and even eliminate stress in your life—and put you on the path toward peace and calm. Includes checklists for self-examination and tips for avoiding triggers.
THE MOST UP-TO-DATE RESEARCH—what medical professionals have learned about stress: the anatomy and natural process of stress; how it affects you and your health; and why you should find new ways to keep it at bay.
STRESS-RELATED HEALTH CARE—how to lower risks to your heart and cardiovascular system, hormones, stomach and digestion, and immune system.
DAY-TO-DAY STRESS-BUSTER TIPS for reducing stress levels at home and at work—from communing with nature, social event-planning, and creative self-expression to breathing therapy, guided imagery, and the most important practice of all: sleep. Dozens of women share their ideas.
PROFESSIONAL TREATMENT OPTIONS—when and where to seek professional assistance, therapy, or medication.