The book contains articles on:
* personal factors that affect academic achievement: motivation, persistence, anxiety, intelligence, self-regulation
* choosing strategies that are effective for the situation
* what 'transfer' is and why it's important
* how experts develop expertise
* the idea of 'desirable difficulties'
* the limits of memorization and rote learning
* some useful strategies in:
* reaching understanding.
This book is for students who are serious about being successful in study, and teachers who want to know how best to help their students learn.
As always with the Mempowered books, the short book is fully referenced.
Keywords: best study strategies for college students,effective study habits, effective learning, study attitudes, educational research, teacher resources, free, freebie
About the author
Fiona McPherson has a PhD in cognitive psychology from the University of Otago (New Zealand). Her first book, The Memory Key, published in 1999, was written in response to what she saw as a lack of practical advice on how to improve memory and learning skills that was based on the latest cognitive research. Since that time, she has continued to provide such advice, through an extensive website (www.memory-key.com), and several books focused on specific memory and learning skills.