Key features of the book are pathway integration and the focus on metabolic flux as a fundamental determinant of cell physiology. The book keeps mathematical complexity to a minimum, and provides a glossary of biological terms to facilitate use of the book by a broader spectrum of readers. A web page exists to communicate updates of the codes and homework problems.
- Demonstrates metabolic engineering in action with numerous examples of pathway modification
- Includes methods for identifying key enzymes in metabolic networks
- Contains a comprehensive review of metabolic biochemistry
- Discusses metabolic regulation at the gene, enzyme, operon, and cell levels
- Explains concepts of stoichiometry, kinetics, and thermodynamics of metabolic pathways
- Minimizes mathematical complexity
- Links to a Web page to communicate updates of the software code and homework problems