In The Brewer’s Apprentice, you get incomparable behind-the-scenes access to the craft brewing world, along with tutorials on everything from mastering the perfect pour to designing a world-class IPA. This illustrated handbook escorts you through the steps of the brewing process and offers a unique curriculum that supports and enhances your knowledge of brewing basics.
Inside, you'll find:
- 18 world-class brewers, including Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River), Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head) and Ken Grossman (Sierra Nevada) as they share their expertise in vivid, engaging interviews
- Advice on sourcing the best hops, barley, wheat, and more; farm-to-table and seasonal brewing
- Strategies for setting up your homebrewing workshop to master brewing chemistry 101
- Methods for tinkering with nontraditional ingredients and extreme brews
- Techniques for brewing mead, sour ales, and cider
Greg Koch is co-founder and CEO of Stone Brewing Co. (www.stonebrew.com) in Escondido, California. Since Greg started the company with his partner, Steve Wagner, in 1996, Stone has become one of the fastest-growing and highest-rated breweries in the world. Brewing 115,000 barrels in 2010, Stone is the fourteenth-largest craft brewery in the United States, and the largest American-owned brewery in the southwestern United States, a position it achieved without advertising, discounting, or giving away freebies. Greg passionately believes that environmental and social sustainability goes hand-in-hand with brewing mind-blowing beer, and he frequently speaks on topics ranging from craft beer to business to food to marketing, bringing a bold, entertaining, and often humorous approach to public speaking engagements.
Matt Allyn is a freelance writer living, drinking, and brewing in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He’s a certified, card-carrying beer judge, and has been homebrewing award-winning beers for six years. His writing has been published in Men’s Health, Draft, Zymurgy, Runner’s World, and Bicycling. And while he doesn’t have a favorite beer, he prefers whatever is fresh, seasonal, and in his hand. Visit his website at www.mattallyn.com.