Written by J. Curtis Varone, a practicing attorney as well as an experienced firefighter, this book explores such key topics as fire department liability, search and seizure, sovereign immunity, overtime laws, collective bargaining, OSHA compliance, workers’ compensation, physical abilities testing, medical examinations, drug testing, discrimination, and sexual harassment. It is a perfect textbook for any course on fire service law as well as an indispensable desk reference for day-to-day fire department administration.
Features of the new 3rd Edition:
• Updated cases on several topics including residency requirements, employment discrimination, and more
• Expanded treatment of hot topics such as digital imagery, social media, and electronic surveillance
• Meets the latest requirements for FESHE’s Legal Aspects of the Fire Service curriculum
• Many new photos and graphics to help connect cases to day-to-day issues in the fire service
• Coverage of recent changes to search and seizure law, use of digital photos and social media by emergency personnel, and fire department liability
J. Curtis Varone has been in the fire service for more than 40 years, with experience in career, combination, and volunteer fire departments. He also has more than 29 years of experience as a practicing attorney representing firefighters and fire departments. Curt retired from the Providence Fire Department in 2008 as a deputy assistant chief and now serves as a deputy chief in his hometown of Exeter, Rhode Island. He is also an adjunct faculty member of the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program and of Providence College’s Fire Science Program.