· Encourage grade marking in the interest of fair competition and for the protection of lumber buyers.
· Include maximum moisture content provisions in the grading rules.
· Check shipments at delivery points as part of the system of ensuring the performance of mills authorized to use the registered SPIB grade mark.
· Provide all-purpose grades with design values regardless of the size or length of the member.
· Implement and maintain a resource monitoring program for visually stress rated lumber design values.
The grading and inspection program of the Southern Pine Inspection Bureau constitutes effective manufacturing and merchandising mechanism. It also is viewed as a public trust, with full protection afforded to buyers and sellers alike. Lumber specifiers and buyers are urged to familiarize themselves with these rules.