• A-to-Z listings of the most essential heart-smart foods, vitamins, and supplements
• Simple, nutritional ways to reduce cholesterol, lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of heart attack, and reverse the process of heart disease
• How to incorporate healthier foods and supplements into your daily diet
• Delicious, easy-to-prepare recipes that your whole family will love
• Which supplements to take to replace nutrients that are lost when taking statins
• The latest medical studies supporting the importance of certain foods and supplements for a strong, healthy heart
52 Foods and Supplements for a Healthy Heart is an essential reference guide for all interested a healthy diet, and for preventing and reversing the effects of heart disease.
Dr. Joel Fuhrman, one of the country’s leading experts on preventative medicine, offers his science-backed nutritional plan that addresses the leading cause of death in America: heart disease. An expert in the science of food, Dr. Fuhrman speaks directly to readers who want to take control of their health and avoid taking medication or undergoing complicated, expensive surgery, the two standard treatments prescribed today.
Following the model of his previous programs that have successfully tackled conditions from diabetes to dieting, Dr. Fuhrman’s plan begins with the food we eat. He focuses on a high nutrient per calorie ratio, with a range of options for different needs and conditions. He shows us what to remove and what to add to our diets for optimum heart health, provides menu plans and recipes for heart-healthy meals and snacks, and includes helpful questions for doctors and patients.
By understanding heart disease and its triggers, Dr. Fuhrman gives us the knowledge to counter-attack this widespread epidemic and lead longer, healthier lives.
Next time you get one of those emails from your mother warning that drinking ice water with meals causes stomach cancer, or your spinning instructor starts explaining the importance of a regular "cleanse," or your co-worker claims that today's fruits and vegetables are completely devoid of nutrients, you'll be armed with the actual facts.
Eating healthy isn't as difficult (or as joyless) as you've been led to believe. In this brief but fact-filled book, Monica sifts through the science and the silliness, separates food fact from food fiction, and offers her unique spin on the art of eating well.
BONUS: This newly redesigned 2nd edition also includes a holistic meal plan designed to de-toxify and revolutionize your body's cells! Burn fat fast and get a lean, toned athletic body.
• The most comprehensive, up-to-date information you need to choose the safest, most effective natural supplements for you and your family
• A-to-Z glossary of all the essential vitamins, herbs, and supplements available—with detailed descriptions, dosages, benefits, and precautions
• Simple daily recommendations for every member of the family: men, women, and children of all ages
• A handy quick-reference guide to common ailments—from acne and bronchitis to migraines and ulcers—featuring simple natural remedies that really work
• The latest medical findings on women's bone health, children's immune systems, the health effects of aging, and other need-to-know subjects
• Plus a Natural Medicine Survival Kit—an all-purpose, easy-to-follow action plan to help you take control of your family's health
· A-to-Z lists of prescription medications, herbal remedies, and natural supplements
· Proven strategies for relieving symptoms—muscle pain, stiff joints, fatigue, sleep problems, depression, irritable bowel syndrome, fibrofog, sexual dysfunction, and more
· Alternative mind/body therapies—acupuncture, acupressure, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, light therapy, massage, neurofeedback, and other methods
· Crucial information on dealing with doctors, health insurance, employment issues, disability, getting pregnant, child rearing, weight control, support groups, and much more
· Plus an easy-to-follow program of diet, exercise, and sleep that will help relieve your pain and restore your quality of life
If you are one of the nearly 100 million Americans struggling with high cholesterol, then Dr. Janet Brill offers you a revolutionary new plan for taking control of your health—without the risks of statin drugs. With Dr. Brill’s breakthrough Cholesterol Down Plan, you simply add nine “miracle foods” to your regular diet and thirty minutes of walking to your daily routine. That’s all. This straightforward and easy-to-follow program can lower your LDL (“bad”) cholesterol by as much as 47 percent in just four weeks.
Cholesterol Down explains Dr. Brill’s ten-point plan as well as the science behind it. You’ll learn how each miracle food affects LDL cholesterol and how the foods work together for maximum effect, as well as:
• How eating whole grains helps reduce LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream
• Why antioxidants keep plaque from building up in your arteries
• How certain steps change the structure of LDL cholesterol particles (and why it’s best for them to be large and fluffy)
• Why walking just thirty minutes a day lowers “bad” cholesterol and cuts dangerous belly fat
With everything you need to stay focused on the plan, including a daily checklist, a six-month chart for racking LDL cholesterol changes, tools for assessing your risk level for cardiovascular disease, sample weekly menus, and even heart-healthy recipes, Cholesterol Down is the safe and effective alternative or complement to statin drugs.