The book contains 17 new and updated chapters covering the fundamentals and latest advances in the area, and includes four appendices, 450 figures (60 available in color on the companion website), and almost 1,500 references. In addition to the continual influx of readers entering the field of ultrasound worldwide who need the broad grounding in the core technologies of ultrasound, this book provides those already working in these areas with clear and comprehensive expositions of these key new topics as well as introductions to state-of-the-art innovations in this field.
Professor Szabo has contributed to the fundamental understanding and design of surface acoustic wave signal processing devices, to novel means of transduction and measurement for nondestructive evaluation using ultrasound, to seismic signal processing applied to acoustic imaging, and to the research and development of state-of-the-art diagnostic ultrasound imaging systems. He has published over seventy papers in these areas. His current interests in ultrasound are overcoming present limitations in imaging the body and finding new ways of extracting noninvasively diagnostically useful information about tissue structure, health and function. His research includes the following methods: digital beamforming, signal processing, miniature transducer arrays, nonlinear acoustic propagation, ultrasound-induced bioeffects, broadband measurement techniques, simulation and measurement of wave propagation in inhomogeneous media and scanning acoustic microscopy. Dr. Szabo is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America and of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, a Senior Life Member of the IEEE, a convenor and U. S. delegate to the International Electrotechnical Commission, and a winner of a best paper award in the IEEE UFFC/SU Transactions.
In Ending Aging, Dr. de Grey and his research assistant Michael Rae describe the details of this biotechnology. They explain that the aging of the human body, just like the aging of man-made machines, results from an accumulation of various types of damage. As with man-made machines, this damage can periodically be repaired, leading to indefinite extension of the machine's fully functional lifetime, just as is routinely done with classic cars. We already know what types of damage accumulate in the human body, and we are moving rapidly toward the comprehensive development of technologies to remove that damage. By demystifying aging and its postponement for the nonspecialist reader, de Grey and Rae systematically dismantle the fatalist presumption that aging will forever defeat the efforts of medical science.
As a result of our fitness tech addiction, we've lost awareness of what we're doing, how we're feeling, and what's going on around us. This is bad enough in the gym, but when we get outside, the constant checking of a tiny screen truly wreaks havoc, downgrading what should be a rich experience into yet another task we need to complete to meet our daily goals. And if we fall short, we feel inadequate. There’s also the issue of data inaccuracy, with many device makers now admitting that their gadgets provide only estimates. So why do we continue to obsess over data and treat it as gospel truth?
It's time to stop, take a breath, and hit the reset button in a big way. Unplugged provides a blueprint for using technology to meet your health and performance goals in a much smarter way, while reconnecting to your instincts and the natural world. In addition to sharing the performance expertise of Brian Mackenzie and the scientific insight of Dr. Andy Galpin, Unplugged features exclusive stories and advice from elite athletes and world-renowned experts like Laird Hamilton, Tim Ferriss, Kai Lenny, Kelly Starrett, Steven Kotler, Erin Cafaro, Lenny Wiersma, Dr. Frank Merritt, and Brandon Rager.
Reading Unplugged will enable you to:
• Understand both the value and the limitations of technology in athletic performance, fitness, health, and lifestyle situations
• Know how and when to utilize physical activity technologies in your everyday life—and when not to
• Avoid the common mistakes that most people make with wearables and tracking apps
• Understand which technologies and tests are most effective and which are a waste of money
• End your addiction to fitness technology and start utilizing it as a tool for cueing, learning, and sensing instead of as a taskmaster that stresses you out
• Improve self-awareness and increase self-reliance
• Re-engage with nature by spending less time indoors and more time outside
• Rediscover the value of coaches' expertise, curation, and intuition, which technology can't replace
• Take back control of your health, fitness, and performance with the Unplugged training protocol.
A Doody's Core Title for 2017!
Written by clinicians renowned in their respective fields, CMDT offers the most current insights into symptoms, signs, epidemiology, and treatment for more than 1,000 diseases and disorders. For each topic, you’ll find concise, evidence-based information about hospital and ambulatory medicine. This streamlined clinical companion is the fastest and easiest way to keep abreast of the latest medical advances, prevention strategies, and cost-effective treatments.
Here’s why CMDT is an essential reference for any primary care setting:
• Strong emphasis on the practical aspects of clinical diagnosis and patient management throughout the broad fields of internal medicine
• Full review of internal medicine and additional primary care topics, such as gynecology and obstetrics, dermatology, neurology, ophthalmology, geriatrics, and palliative care
• The only text with an annual update on HIV/AIDS and new emerging viral diseases
• Specific disease prevention information
• Medication treatment tables, with indexed trade names and updated prices – plus helpful diagnostic and treatment algorithms
• Updated PMID numbers for quick reference
• Many full-color photographs and illustrations
Here are just a few of the many exciting new additions and updates:
• New information on Zika, dengue, chikungunya, MERS and other infections
• Two new online chapters: Lesbian & Bisexual Women’s Health and Transgender Health & Disease Prevention
• Update on influenza pneumococcal, HPV, and meningococcal vaccines
• Latest information on new therapies for inflammatory bowel disease
• Revised recommendations for cardiovascular prevention methods
• Recent advances in diagnosis and treatment of Clostridium difficile infections
• New FDA approved medications for diabetes mellitus and hypercholesterolemia
• Extensively revised material on alcoholism
• Latest information on treatment options for obesity
• Expanded online Podiatry chapter
Children with autism have been placed on stringent diets, subjected to high-temperature saunas, bathed in magnetic clay, asked to swallow digestive enzymes and activated charcoal, and injected with various combinations of vitamins, minerals, and acids. Instead of helping, these therapies can hurt those who are most vulnerable, and particularly in the case of autism, they undermine childhood vaccination programs that have saved millions of lives. An overwhelming body of scientific evidence clearly shows that childhood vaccines are safe and does not cause autism. Yet widespread fear of vaccines on the part of parents persists.
In this book, Paul A. Offit, a national expert on vaccines, challenges the modern-day false prophets who have so egregiously misled the public and exposes the opportunism of the lawyers, journalists, celebrities, and politicians who support them. Offit recounts the history of autism research and the exploitation of this tragic condition by advocates and zealots. He considers the manipulation of science in the popular media and the courtroom, and he explores why society is susceptible to the bad science and risky therapies put forward by many antivaccination activists.
Goldman-Cecil Medicineoffers definitive, unbiased guidance on the evaluation and management of every medical condition, presented by a veritable "Who's Who" of modern medicine. A practical, straightforward style; templated organization; evidence-based references; and robust interactive content combine to make this dynamic resource quite simply the fastest and best place to find all of the authoritative, state-of-the-art clinical answers you need.Expert Consult eBook version included with print purchase:
Access continuous updatesfrom Editor Lee Goldman, MD, who thoroughly reviews internal medicine and specialty journals, updating online content to reflect the latest guidelines and translating that evidence into treatment.
Interactive Q&A sectionfeatures over 1,500 board-style questions and answers to aid in preparing for certification or recertification exams.
Outstanding supplementary toolsinclude figures, tables, videos, heart and lung sounds, treatment and management algorithms, fully integrated references, and thousands of illustrations and full-color photos.
Search all of the text, figures, supplementary material, and references from the book on a variety of devices and at no additional cost — Expert Consult access is included with this title!
Practical, bulleted, highly templated textwith easy-to-use features including flow charts and treatment boxes.
New chapterson global health, cancer biology and genetics, and the human microbiome in health and disease keep you on the cutting edge of medicine.
Today's most current evidence-based medicine guidelines help you form a definitive diagnosis and create the best treatment plans possible.
Focused coverage of the latest developments in biology includes the specifics of current diagnosis, therapy, and medication doses.
The reference of choice for every stage of your career!Goldman-Cecil Medicine is an ideal learning tool for residents, physicians, and students as well as a valuable go-to resource for experienced healthcare professionals.